Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Freesat. That's UK Freesat, and not the embarrassing Irish version.

I got a Humax satellite receiver/Freetime/HDR from eBay and configured a Raspberry Pi as a VPN gateway for the catchup services. The biggest downside is that we have to switch the TV source to the Irish version of Freeview to watch and record the Irish channels, so everything isn't all in one place. Another niggle is that catchup on Sky is recorded just like a normal live recording so you can skip the ads whereas Freetime links to the catchup services of the individual channels. We don't watch much TV so no biggie.

Anyone want a Sky HD+ box? :)

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Virgin Media Freeview here..."borrowed" Sky Sports App on Xbox 360...."borrowed" BT Sport App on Android TV box....and lots of wee android apps for everything else.

Remember when we had one TV with 3 channels and we had to get up off our bums to change the station. !!

Was it the cost that made you change ?

·
Registered
8,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wasn't the cost itself, ronan, it was that we were paying for something we rarely, if ever, get any benefit from. I also feel a bit cleaner after freedom from Murdoch.

·
Premium Member
77,066 Posts
I've just cancelled Sky - spending virtually a day and a half of texting to get the job done (possibly preferable to multiple phone calls).

Why doesn't someone get a grip of this industry and put an end to this utter bull**** around leaving and joining?

My Sky was £65

as I was leaving they said I could have it for £58....and then went to £53 as a final offer. I left.

This morning there is an email saying I can have it for £32. That ******* well takes it below what I'm now planning on paying BT....and Sky has better footy this year.

So, contemplating cancelling BT (within my 14 days cooling off period) and hooking back up with Sky. what a TART.

Obv I'll still need to get someone to do my interweb for me, now I've got rid of Virgin, so maybe Sky will do that for me too....or BT....or Plusnet or my Uncle Bill.

·
Super Moderator
86,166 Posts
Bye bye BT Sports ...

... I didn't cancel, it was free from EIR with their broadband. But as of 1st August it has been removed :( Sky bought the rights & it is now available from them.

PS no one should be paying full price for Sky, if you are ring them up & ask for a deal. Existing customers deserve deals as well as new customers ;)

·
Premium Member
77,066 Posts
I've persisted with BT, having have a contemptuous fit of pique about Sky's nerve. Sky are toast later this month, but I'll still get to see a bit of footy, and watch the end of Deadwood before I go. Seriously, by the way, if you've not seen Deadwood....it is Shakespeare in the wildest of wests.

Am now locked in debate with some lackey of the CEO of Virgin Media while trying to sack them off.

Sky

·
Registered
37 Posts
I told BT to take a walk when they tried to charge me £110+VAT a decade ago for connecting a line that the last owners left connected. For clicking a box on screen.... Yep that and a couple of company phone lines. Then I got an office where the landlords were too lazy to bill for calls because the rent was already epic! Also I sued my mobile operator for overcharging me thousands when I was already spending £600/m - bc I wouldn't notice that. Congrats this sh-- pushed me to VOIP when practical.

Also cut the cord on Sky, BBC, etc and now it's Netflix and still chilling. Don't think I'm missing much they have that in the pub when I want. Also I don't miss the news telling me what to think all the time. Movies I get from Google Play. Crunchyroll is free with ads. Twitch is great for E-Sports and paying is voluntary on most channels. Ijs streaming in all its forms is the Internet's way of giving you more options than TV ever could and supporting up-and-coming artists. It's an option is all I'm saying. And don't forget gaming. I just find it hard to watch other people playing a game when I could be playing the game instead.

·
Super Moderator
86,166 Posts
... PS no one should be paying full price for Sky, if you are ring them up & ask for a deal. Existing customers deserve deals as well as new customers ;)
My Sky bill went up last month, I rang a couple weeks ago to look for a deal, nothing available on the system but told to ring back in a few days.
I missed a call from Sky last week & rang back Friday, got a 12 month deal for less than I was paying for the previous 12 months :thumbs:

·
Registered
13,636 Posts
I too have jut cut that cord. I was paying £90+/mth including broadband. Apart from the BB I realised I was not much using Sky.
Humax recorder in the post and a Now TV Stick just incase something comes by I or rather we wish to watch.

·
Registered
32,283 Posts
We are wasting an incredible amount per month on Virgin, with broadband and a landline we never use. I could get £75 from RBS to change to Sky. Is it any good?

·
Registered
493 Posts
We are wasting an incredible amount per month on Virgin, with broadband and a landline we never use. I could get £75 from RBS to change to Sky. Is it any good?
Depends when you want it installed. Had BT for phone, broadband & TV but they p****d me off when it took them 2 months to sort out phone & broadband problems and it still keeps dropping out.
So signed up to Sky a few weeks ago for installation yesterday. Phone & broadband are OK but the engineer never showed up to install the TV box & dish. Next available date? 29th December. Kept phone & broadband, told them what they could do with their TV

·
Registered
12,526 Posts
I’ve got Sky telephone and broadband because Plusnet, who I was negotiating with, refused to match Sky’s offer
I changed and then 3 weeks later got a better offer from Plusnet, I told the lad on the phone what to do with his revised offer, he seemed perplexed at my tone.
Family and friends have been ditching Sky in droves for the Fire Sticks, Now TV et al that are a bargain.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts