Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm considering getting rid of the GTV and taking on a 156 2.4JTD Veloce..... ????

Any thought Guys ?????

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Vendor
45,308 Posts
What's your reasoning? The 156 JTD is a good car but probably doesn't have the character of the GTV..

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about a late Fiat Coupe?

More space, 3 litre performance combined with 2 litre fuel consumption.

And it is still a coupe. :cool:
That's something i hadn't considered but they look ok......... Perhaps I'll look at that one..........????

·
Registered
945 Posts
That's something i hadn't considered but they look ok......... Perhaps I'll look at that one..........????
GT with any engine over a Fiat Coupe for me. Quick cars, but lack most of what draws me to AR.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GT with any engine over a Fiat Coupe for me. Quick cars, but lack most of what draws me to AR.
Didn't like the GT at all........... Had one as a courtesy car a while back.......... Nasty !!!!

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
37,368 Posts
I disagree, I think the Fiat Coupe has most of the things that Make an Alfa special. It just happens to wear a different badge.

The 20VT is also brutally fast.

Mine is an Older regular 20VT but I would love a Late 20VT plus, with the 6 speed box, leather recaro's and body kit.

This one is quite nice, I had a look around it the other day.

Slightly high price wise though IMO.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/991786.htm

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i agree....but then i have history with those...
20VTs are fab cars....but you either love em or hate em....the characteristics of the engine are sublime...it has the noise and the power...and it has 2 good seat in the back plus a more useable boot...

i can understand the choice of a 156 from the point of view of space and fuel consumption....but do you do enough miles a year to make it worth your while?...perhaps there is no price premium if you're buying used...below a certian price and it really doesnt matter...

the 156 is a smashing car....but what is it that you want exactly?
is it the capacity?
or the speed?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
156 2.4, remap, then back up to speed again, and the lancia 20v engine is a minter in any form, makes a lovely noise, and in a pretty coupe body:cool: :thumbs:

and pretty cheap to buy now, even more of a bonus:D

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In no particular order, I want.............

More room in the back / boot
A bit more grunt
A change.......... I've had the GTV for over a year, and for me that's a bloody long time to keep a car.

I had a 2.2 turbo diesel Merc a few year back and that was a great drive........ If the 2.4 JTD is anything like that.... I want one.

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
37,368 Posts
I would imagine a 2.4 20V would be a lot better than a 2.2 Merc.

I have driven a 10v 2.4 and it was good (for a diesel) the 20v will be better still.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've had both and you will definitely miss the "pointiness" and directness of a GTV, although it is an excruciatingly impractical bit of kit.

The 20V 156 JTDM will go like stink, but I think you need to make sure it's a Veloce or has uprated suspension because that is a big old lump up front. You can also use it to carry things around in.

I'd say that if you don't need the practicality of a 156, then get a V6 GTV because the 156 will probably leave you a bit frustrated.

If you do need to move things around, then the 156 will bring a smile to your face every time you put your foot down and leave the (non-V6) GTV behind you standing in a little cloud of soot...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've had both and you will definitely miss the "pointiness" and directness of a GTV, although it is an excruciatingly impractical bit of kit.

The 20V 156 JTDM will go like stink, but I think you need to make sure it's a Veloce or has uprated suspension because that is a big old lump up front. You can also use it to carry things around in.

I'd say that if you don't need the practicality of a 156, then get a V6 GTV because the 156 will probably leave you a bit frustrated.

If you do need to move things around, then the 156 will bring a smile to your face every time you put your foot down and leave the (non-V6) GTV behind you standing in a little cloud of soot...
I'm cosidering a 156 2.4 JTD Veloce ......... It has Weitech shocks and Eibach Springs fitted.........

Chjeers to All
Peter

B

·
0 Posts
I have just this minute collected a full length mirror in the SW I have had a King size headboard in there & usually 2 dogs .
2 major bonus's for me is How well it goes 2.4 JTD remapped & still get about 35- 38 mpg all town work & hoofing it uphills as though they are not there. Oh the other bonus is that you can blast a cloak of foul SOOT all over those bloody irratating cylists who insist on riding in the middle of the road , also give's them a reason to wear those silly bloody mask's :D

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have just this minute collected a full length mirror in the SW I have had a King size headboard in there & usually 2 dogs .
2 major bonus's for me is How well it goes 2.4 JTD remapped & still get about 35- 38 mpg all town work & hoofing it uphills as though they are not there. Oh the other bonus is that you can blast a cloak of foul SOOT all over those bloody irratating cylists who insist on riding in the middle of the road , also give's them a reason to wear those silly bloody mask's :D
......... The car I'm considering has been re-mapped to 270bhp

Cheers to All
Peter

1 - 20 of 65 Posts