Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi...

recently, the temperatures have been wandering around -10 and below, and I am used to the engine making weird popping noises for first minute when run in the morning, possibly clearing out some frozen vapor in the pipes or something... (2.0 JTDM 170, Left-hand drive)

however, this evening there was another noise, which I am not sure whether to worry about. It is in a closed garage during the day, so, is relatively warmer. After 25 minutes of commute, while I was parking on a hill with a little bit of snow under the tyres, the tyres slipped a few rounds. Nothing abnormal. But then I turned off the engine and got out, and realized there is a buzzing noise coming from the right side in the engine bay. I waited for a while hoping it was some pump turning off, but the buzzing continued.

Now normally when I unlock the doors, the front lights come on (courtesy lighting or something), and I hear a similar buzz from the car, which I thought was normal, with electrics coming on or something. However, this new buzzing continued changing tones when locked and unlocked. I restarted the engine a few times, and finally it was gone.

Has someone got an idea what it could be? The DPF runs while the engine is running, right, blowing fuel to the filter? Is there a process that could run more than half an hour after the engine is turned off? Should I get the electrics checked? The warranty would cover such stuff, I guess. (@3600kms)

Thanks.

Best...

·
Registered
489 Posts
No idea on that one sorry, have same G as you. You say you had some wheel spin prior ? which of course is not unusual but with the cold temp' perhaps something got stuck reseting it self? all the salt on the roads etc.
If it has gone now i wouldn't worry too much [Alfa!] if it comes back again the i would take it in.
Are you happy with the 170? only had ours for a week now [used with 8tho on clock] and Lovin it. Take care:thumbs:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers, gazab1...

now everytime i park it, i stop and listen, and it does buzz a little bit, but then it goes away when i check later. hopefully it is just normal electronics noise.

it is lovely otherwise, though, isn't it? well, in 'Normal', there is almost no soul to it, but dynamic does give you thrills. i save 'dynamic' for special occasions, so that i have some place to go when i feel like i need 'powerrrr' :p come summer, we'll see what it can do ;-)

enjoy the G!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've got a similar buzzing noise as well, but mine disappears after a couple of minutes. I've been told by a calibration engineer that this might be a normal ECU 'zero learn' function which happens when switching off the engine. The ECU runs through a sequence of detecting several parameters such as throttle position and ambient temperatures after key-off.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Sometimes they get confused I think, my 159 did exactly the same once, turned out to be the butterfly valve being confused, started the car, switched it off, never had it again

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the mechanic said it is possibly the xenons, and then he said he did some software update (not sure if ECU?). now it does buzz quieter, and that stops in a few minutes. but then again, the weather temperature went from below -10s to around and more than 0. maybe that's related...

·
Registered
34,432 Posts
There is another thread on this subject. My wife called me out to the car when she discovered it on our MA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my car is Giulietta QV..... I noticed the sound after turning the engine off after a short drive this afternoon....it is -10 here for about a week or longer....when I take out the key the buzzing sound ended...when I give contact the sound started again....I will check tomorrow again the car when I will start it ...

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
my car is Giulietta QV..... I noticed the sound after turning the engine off after a short drive this afternoon....it is -10 here for about a week or longer....when I take out the key the buzzing sound ended...when I give contact the sound started again....I will check tomorrow again the car when I will start it ...
Mine does that when i start it up. Does it for 4-5 minutes then stops. :wobble:

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The variable geometry vains on the turbo operate by vacuum. On the 156 the pump continues for 30 seconds or so after the ignition is turned off. Buzzes and ends with a quite pop. Not heard it on my g but seems all cars have turbo so it might be worth investigating.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts