Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last day or two when I start the 155 from cold I get a loud buzzing noise from what appears to be deep inside the dashboard. It goes away after a few minutes. Yes, I've already checked for, and eliminated, bees, wasps other insects and vermin but the noise is still there. Car is '97 2.0L Super with climate control and aircon. Noise is there whether the aircon/climate control is on or off. Any ideas?

Phil

W

·
0 Posts
Could just be something that rattles when cold, until it expands a little with the heat.

Another possiblity...you may have an airlock in the heater system but that is usually apparant from gurgles.

wrinx

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definately no gurgles, well not from the car anyway. The noise sounds for all the world like the heater fan bearing on the way out but its not that. I'll have a poke about at the weekend and if theres time i'll look behind the dashboard.

Phil

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
There is a motor controlled vent in the back of the dash on the 145/146's that seems to buzz for a while. It will do this when the fan speed is set to 0 or the recirculate air button is pressed.
Mine is kaput, and whizzes for a short period.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
One of the numerous broke bits in my V6 is small motor/gearbox that is supposed to open & close the recirculation vent. Normally, it will open it when the heater is on and close it for heater off or recirc mode.

This is all well and good...apart from the fact that the way it works is to simply drive to one end until it hits the end stop. There is no positional feedback and as far as I was able to tell, no current feedback either, so it just sits there for a few seconds with a stalled motor. Eventually breaks the plastic output gear, the flap, well..., flaps and always allows air into the car regardless, and the motor sits & whirrs for a few seconds every time the heater goes on or off. Eventually I just took it out and wedged the flap open. Some days I think I should have wedged it shut..

If this is the problem on yours, it's located all the way to the left side of the dash and is a real pig to get at. And about £150 for a new one. :eek: ...and it sounds like it's a common part with the 145/146 too.....

It could of course be one of the stepper motors that's gone west. There are two I think. One for temperature mix and one for air distribution. This was a 'popular' fault with the 164 range as the output gears were again made of plastic.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your thoughts, I'm inclined to think you have the answer here.

Phil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts