Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, after a bit of advice please.
I've owned a guilietta 1.6 jtdm before and loved it (altho had a lot of DPF problems)

Now I'm looking for a new car, it's a second car just to commute around 45mi per day and im drawn to the guilietta again! But I can't seem to get any advice other than 'oh alfas are unreliable and no garage will touch them plus parts are expensive........' now I know you lot are biased 馃槈 but what are your experiences?

I've seen a few in budget, I have 拢6k max
Seen a 2011 1.4 multiair for 拢6k full history only 40k miles
Or
2011 2ltr jtdm (140hp) with 77k miles but for 拢5k
Or
A few 1.4 multiair around 70k for 拢5k

The later would leave a bit in the bank for repairs etc and I'd prob need new cambelt and pumps on any of them! But I know very very little about cars 馃様

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

Registered
I have a 2011 MA with 96k. The only serious problem was having to have the multi air unit replaced but I think that was just unlucky. The belts and water pump were changed at 5 years and will need doing again in 2021 but according to Autolusso (Penrith) their condition was not a matter for concern. Just remembered that other than that the A/C condenser had to be replaced. They are vulnerable to flying debris, as they are in most cars, because of the need to be in a cool air flow.

If the one at 40k has a full service history you need to check that all belts and pump were changed after no more than 5 years. The mileage interval is, I think, 76k so a low annual mileage user might have been tempted to delay the change.

Cost for repairs and parts I think are comparable with other makes. As a further comment prior to this I had a XsaraVTS for a similar period and slightly smaller mileage but very similar usage. That was got rid when it started costing for major repairs to the valve springs in the engine (I don't seem to have much luck on timing gear) and then the rear suspension had to be replaced. At that stage it had already gone through one full exhaust system (bar the cat) while the MA is still on the original exhaust and every service I ask will it soon need replacing to be told no it is looking good. On that experience I would say the Alfa is more reliable and less costly for repairs.

Registered
You had trouble with your dog?
How long did you have a giulietta? I鈥檓 confused!

Registered
So you have 3 years experience. More than most prospective Giulietta buyers who post on here then?
They are fine cars not dissimilar to other cars of their size. I鈥檝e never heard of dpf issues but my Giuliettas were both MA petrols for a total of 85,000 miles or more , the second being faultless as the teething problems were sorted out by 2017. I wouldn鈥檛 say you need a massive contingency fund, especially if it means you鈥檒l get an older example!

Registered
I agree with cue2 - it's a myth that Alfa's are unreliable. But I think that's one of the reasons they are so special, they need a leap of faith, which keeps them from the regular crowd.

What was the DPF issue? - I know the diesel models auto-clean every 1,000 or so miles which is preferable than visiting a garage or paying for a repair?

Registered
I know of a few people that elected to buy the world's most boring car, a Ford Focus, based on their 'reliability'. The bonnet ceased shut on one and the other one just fell to pieces. Garbage. They also corroded so fast it looked like they'd just been driven out of Chernobyl.

Registered
The original Focus was , and still is , a really well engineered car. There are quite a few driving round over two decades later!

Registered
For every 165,000 produced, the odds suggest one or two might still be in good shape ;)

Yeah, I mean, it's almost a benchmark car for reliability and so forth - just making a point that in my experience they are no more or less reliable than an Alfa. But given the debate over which offered the better service, most people would always say Ford, when in actual fact, that's not always the case.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
DPF was constantly cleaning, like every 100mile or so and causing a lot of black smoke, Alfa garage couldn't find the problem other than saying it's a dpf fault.
Good to know about the reliability thanks.

Would you think 45mi a day would better suit the diesel?

Registered
For economy, I would say, yes.

I've just swapped from a 2JTDM (diesel) to a 1.4TB (petrol) and the economy is noticeably less.

Registered
I'd buy the petrol on 40k all day long. Diesels are getting a rough re-sale ride at the moment that I can determine, and 37,000 miles difference is a lot. Petrol, needless to say, is actually less than diesel.

cue2 - yeah, the 1.4TB - it's just a beautiful motor. I did enjoy my 2.0JTDM but this seems more refined / polished. It's quieter.

I've only had my Sprint Speciale for about 2 weeks and am still coming to terms with some kind of freakishly deep sub-woofer going on ... think it's in the boot. At low volume levels it's practically cracking the road.

Registered
We have had our 2.0 diesel (170bhp) for 5 years now, and it has 103k on it. Apart from the EGR cooler cover cracking it has been mostly reliable but it has needed afair few consumables such as brakes, shocks, suspension arms, clutch etc in that time.

The main downside of the diesel is that it is very loud for a modern diesel, but it does at least drive well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts