Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been to look at a GTV 2.0 TS today. It is in nice condition with service history etc., took it for a test run then looked over it. When we took the oil filler cap off it had white sludge in the cap, usually a sign of head gasket problems.

Is this 'normal' on GTV's i.e. due to the type of oil etc., or are they prone to HG problems? Are there any other issues that I need to consider for this car?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
Could just be a sign that it has been used for very short trips and not running long enough to get up to temperature.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Could just be a sign that it has been used for very short trips and not running long enough to get up to temperature.
i bought my 944 in a similar condition, the owner assured me that the sludge was due to short trips, he said if it wasnt hed pay for a head gasket, he put it in writing, the head gasket was fine and the sludge went (oil change, normal driving) never had it again, but you are right it is also a sign of head gasket trouble, so buyer beware!, try to get a garantee as i did, or get it to a garage and get it checked out?. u can get repair cover with the aa/rac for about £100 quid, the car must be serviced regularly but it covers head gaskets and most other failures, they wont cover retrospectively but if it were to go in the future ud be covered, not sure if there are any time limits on ownership etc.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
The car probably has a knackered thermostat and it isn't getting up to temperature. Hence the moisture is not getting evaporated from the engine.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I looked at around 30 Spiders before I bought mine and most had a little "cream" right up the hole on the underside of the cap, including the one I bought.
I'd check the cooling systems expansion tank, when it's cold, get you fingers in the and see if there's and oil in there.
I got mine home, changed the oil, wiped the cap and I've not seen it back there in 18 months

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Thank you for the advice. Will go for a 2nd viewing tomorrow and double check.
Take it for a good test drive. 10 miles or longer if possible.

Make sure the temperature gauge gets to around 80-85ºC and stays there, although it may rise higher in traffic.

If it reads lower (Usually 60-70ºC) then it needs a new stat and that could be the problem.

When you get back check for Mayo in the oil filler cap again. If the car has been getting up to the correct temperature and there is still mayo I would suspect the head gasket.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Don't forget to clean off what's there first though!
I suspect it's a little moisture in there though, engines breath ie, oil expands when hot and contracts when cold so it needs to vent the air in there when hot and suck it back in when cold, otherwise you get pressure under the pistons and they'll not want to go down (sounds familiar!). Air has moisture in it, lots at this time of year in this dank country, so short trips or a wonky stat and it'll never boil off this moisture and it'll show on the inside of the cap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts