Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm seriously considering buying a 2009 Brera S V6, but
have seen some horror stories on the forum around the timing chain issue.

It's not clear from some of the posts how old the vehicle is, or how many miles it has covered.

I'm probably going to buy one anyway, because i'm a hopeless addict.

The problem is I currently live in New Zealand and I really don't want to ship it halfway around the world, only to find I've got a P00016 warning as soon as I get it out of the container.

I heard there was a modification to the timing chain oil inlets in 2008.

I would be interested to here your opinions on whether a low mileage 2009 Brera S 3.2 V6 would be affected by timing chain stretch.

How many miles would the car have to have done for this to become an issue ?

Do people still get this problem even on the shorter oil change regime ?

Any advice much appreciated.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hi there, the 3.2's seem to handle this issue better than the 2.2's when you look at the amount of instances logged on

the forum. Although that might come down to the increased amount of 2.2's bought compared with 3.2's, but anyway.

I recently bought a 2006 3.2 Brera with 70000miles on the clock. This car sticked to the normal servicing schedule it

seems (may even have gone over), and although the chains are a bit noisy, it doesn't have that characteristic clacking

indicating stretch or abnormal wear, and since no errors are logged that confirms that it is still fine.

Also, should something go wrong in that department, it has been established that you can get the necessary spares from

GM for a LOT less than the price Alfa asks. Overall these V6 engines seem to be quite capable in the reliability

department. So back to your question, I think a 2009 low milage model will be a safe bet. I heard the chains used on

later versions of the engine are uprated and handle the stretching issue better. Not sure if the oil feed upgrade is

applicable to the 3.2 though?

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Buy it, oil & filter change coupled with a good flush.

I've done over 60 k miles in two V6 Brera's. Don't let the oil go to 18 or 21k. 12k max.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Had my car serviced yesterday, local indie here says he has never seen a timing chain problem with the V6, just 2.2's. He said just do a service each year or 12,000 miles not longer service intervals.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Never had 2.2 issues either. Driven hard, regular oil changes with a flush.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Driphter. Just bought a 2009 3.2 Brera in UK and am bringing it into NZ. Interested to know if you went ahead and bought one yourself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts