Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You just invite knobs into your life. Just bought my new car from a lovely bloke, but it was a complete contrast to all the trouble my father-in-law had when selling his son's car.

My brother's just driven up to Birmingham after checking that the car was still for sale. Got there and phoned the bloke, who said, "I've just broken down, but will be there in 30 minutes" 30 minutes later, he arrives, brother likes it and the bloke says, "sorry mate, already sold it". Brother's just on his way back after wasting a whole day.

·
Registered
37,148 Posts
If they had done that to me I would be wanting money for my wasted trip.

Failing that a dog turd through his letter box (or similar) would be on the cards.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If they had done that to me I would be wanting money for my wasted trip.

Failing that a dog turd through his letter box (or similar) would be on the cards.
Yup, me too. Just thinking of irritating things you can do to people when you have their mobile number! No point bothering though I guess, it's just continuing the bad karma cycle!

·
Registered
37,148 Posts
All I can say is, my Uncles Ex-Girlfriends son got his "revenge" by writing my uncles phone number and a message on the wall of a local public toilet....

K

·
0 Posts
I won't do it any more. 10 miles is my limit for looking at cars. I've been to too many that were nowhere near the description being sold by idiots.

·
Registered
44,666 Posts
I was selling a car in 2009, had two people interested, one turned up an hour early and bought the car on the spot. The second potential buyer was coming from about 50 or 60 miles away, on the phone I forgot to ask for his mobile number just in case something like this happened (happened to me once), he turns up 45 minutes later, wife and kids in the back to be told 'sorry mate it's sold'. I felt so bad about it that I offered him cups of tea and biscuits, use of the toilet whatever he needed. The bloke was not a happy bunny and left immediately. Sometimes these things happen.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Let's face it, when your selling a car there is no guarantee that the next person will turn up anyway.

B

·
0 Posts
Or when they do turn up & you think they seem genuine ,take them for a 25 odd mile "test drive". They clearly love driving it , for them to turn around & tell you the wooden gear knob is not to their liking & when they sell their Blah blah time waster etc etc.

Afterwards your bloody savage at yourself for such a soft idiot ...true story,on here somewhere :(

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
No excuse for this . I hope that the other guy doesn't buy it now that would be a good outcome . Hopefully the car will break down and he (the seller Proick!) will have to give the money back !

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I phoned a chap I knew about a Giulia Spider and said I was now looking for one.

'Come over for a drive' he said.

So I skived off work that afternoon and drove 35 miles to his house and we went for a short drive round the lanes.

Not wanting to waste time I asked him what he would take for it?

'Oh no'.. he said...'I have promised to give it to my son next year'...'I just though you would like to drive one'

S

·
0 Posts
First come, first served.

That's it. Sorry if you've travelled across the entire galaxy, but I've got a car to sell. Give me your moblie and I'll keep in touch, but, as I said first come.....

....the only advice I can offer is that if it seems like a bargain......... you won't be first in the queue.

K

·
0 Posts
If I was doing the selling and I had someone coming to Bolton from Aberdeen or somewhere to view, as a courtesy, I wouldn't let anyone else come and look until the long distance viewer has been. I'd take any other interested parties' numbers and call them back if it didn't work out.

If they've travelled that far you know they are serious and I describe my cars accurately so there's no reason for them not to buy.

If you travel a long distance it seriously weakens your bargaining position though. Nobody is going to walk away from the right car for the sake of £100 after a 200 mile round trip.

·
Registered
856 Posts
"You just invite knobs into your life.." Ha ha ha you're not kidding- you want to try doing it for a living!
Some people are just unbelievable. Granted, the motor trade has more than its fair share of rogues, but private sellers/customers can be just as bad; I've lost count of how many supposedly "mint" cars I've travelled to see, which have been anything but.
Seriously, some people don't even know what car they own; picking a relevant example from memory, I went to look at a Sprint Veloce (some years ago, obviously) that was supposedly very clean, no rust, fortune spent etc. When I arrived, I was presented with a 33. Which was an absolute dog.
Other gems include people coming back to complain that their tyres are bald, their bulbs have gone, brake pads are worn, months (on more than one occasion, years) after buying the car!

·
Registered
37,148 Posts
I sold a car one (Nissan 200sx) and 2 weeks later the buyer called me and complained that the turbo elbow gasket had blown.

He then tried to tell me that I had said I had changed it.

I never did, and he also told me that he only wound the boost up to 1.2 Bar. :rolleyes:

When I told him where to go he started threatening me with violence and threatened to damage my dads car.

Nothing happened though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I drove miles to see that bloody car! Really liked it. He was a dealer too, shouldn't expect such un-professionalism!

On the (plus) side, I found a newer one in a better colour and it was the sport model for the same price fairly soon afterwards.

However, I had the car about a week before I had to put a new engine in it due to the bloke who sold it to me having botched up a blown head gasket. What a knob.

·
Registered
16,895 Posts
years ago, a chap came to see my dad's red Saab 9000, advertised - not surprisingly - as a red Saab 9000.

Test drove it, uhmed and arrghed a bit then said 'i don't like them in red'.

because that's what happens, right? You advertise a red car as red, and heck, you might be lucky and when you get there to view it, it's actually in silver, or blue. And certainly not in red, after all.

Speaking of Saabs, i went to view a 900 with a mate (for him). First mistake; it was the 'wrong' 900 - a three box saloon, not a hatch (well done, Andy; next time let me do the searching, ok?). The seller had dodgy written all over him. I use the term 'seller' loosely though, because he was *alarm bells ringing loud enough to wake the dead* selling it for 'a mate who was out of the country...what with him having had a little trouble with the Old Bill, like.'

'ooh, that's good; he'll probably accept a good price for it then' my mate cheerfully piped up, thinking that somehow the lack of the real owner's presence and his questionable relationship with the Police, was a good negotiating point.

Things got more interesting when I saw the suspiciously shiny looking bonnet, offside wing, and new offside headlamp. 'Has this car ever had an accident?' I asked Wide Boy. 'Nahhh mate', he said as he took a long, guilty drag on his ciggie. For amusement, I opened the bonnet to see that most of the offside chassis leg was...well, best described as 'missing'.

So we left.

'But I liked the colour!'

Shut up, Andy.

J

·
0 Posts
years ago, a chap came to see my dad's red Saab 9000, advertised - not surprisingly - as a red Saab 9000.

Test drove it, uhmed and arrghed a bit then said 'i don't like them in red'.

because that's what happens, right? You advertise a red car as red, and heck, you might be lucky and when you get there to view it, it's actually in silver, or blue. And certainly not in red, after all.

Speaking of Saabs, i went to view a 900 with a mate (for him). First mistake; it was the 'wrong' 900 - a three box saloon, not a hatch (well done, Andy; next time let me do the searching, ok?). The seller had dodgy written all over him. I use the term 'seller' loosely though, because he was *alarm bells ringing loud enough to wake the dead* selling it for 'a mate who was out of the country...what with him having had a little trouble with the Old Bill, like.'

'ooh, that's good; he'll probably accept a good price for it then' my mate cheerfully piped up, thinking that somehow the lack of the real owner's presence and his questionable relationship with the Police, was a good negotiating point.

Things got more interesting when I saw the suspiciously shiny looking bonnet, offside wing, and new offside headlamp. 'Has this car ever had an accident?' I asked Wide Boy. 'Nahhh mate', he said as he took a long, guilty drag on his ciggie. For amusement, I opened the bonnet to see that most of the offside chassis leg was...well, best described as 'missing'.

So we left.

'But I liked the colour!'

Shut up, Andy.
That made me laugh, especially the lack of chassis leg...

However there are some real plonkers out there

1 - 20 of 21 Posts