Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one
Just joined this forum site to say hello to fellow members.
I am looking at purchasing a 'M' reg box engined 1600 Alfa Romero with 91000 on the clock, its taxed and tested and am wondering if there is any pitfalls that i should be looking out for,
I may seam ignorant but what is a 'box engine' as i have never heard of this before dispite being a silver serfer.
any help would be much appreciated
ps . am not sure at this point in time which madel it is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Buying an Alfa Romero

phil155 said:
hello mate and welcome to AO:D :D :D

can you discribe the shape of it?
Hi, im afraid i carnt at the mo as the guy is on nights and i wont be able to view it till 4pm, but i will post a thread on here as to the outcome, Im buying it from a friend of a friend and they say that it is in very good condition so i will have to wait and see.
ray

W

·
0 Posts

If it's a Boxer engined car, it'll be a 145 or 146 on an M reg.

By the way....it's spelt [cough] Romeo [/cough] ;)

The Boxer engine is flatter than most others, produces a fairly unique burbly sound (NOT like a scooby hopefully!) but is reckoned to be slightly underpowered compared to more modern Twinsparks.

wrinx

·
Registered
2,994 Posts

twilightflyer said:
Hi every one
Just joined this forum site to say hello to fellow members.
I am looking at purchasing a 'M' reg box engined 1600 Alfa Romero with 91000 on the clock, its taxed and tested and am wondering if there is any pitfalls that i should be looking out for,
I may seam ignorant but what is a 'box engine' as i have never heard of this before dispite being a silver serfer.
any help would be much appreciated
ps . am not sure at this point in time which madel it is.
Welcome to AO:) .

I think you're referring to a "boxer" engine. The layout of the engine is with the four cylinders horizontally opposed, two each side like when two boxers touch gloves at the beginning of a fight, hence the name "boxer". It's also referred to as a flat four.

I would assume the car you're looking at is either a 145 (3 door hatchback) or 146 (5 door hatchback). There were 2 different 1.6 versions of each model - a basic 1.6 and a 1.6L. The L model is the one to go for as, IIRC, it has ABS and the basic car doesn't.

The Boxer engines are pretty reliable as long as they've been properly serviced so make sure the car has plenty of history with belt changes, etc having been carried out on time.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts

Welcome to AO :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Hi everyone
thanks for all your input on this one .
The car was a 145 3 dr hatchback
the prob I found was that the gear lever, well what can I say 1st ok, 2nd ok, 3rd well to select this I had to pull the lever all the way over to the right , let go then it would enter 3rd gear, it has some oomph but that was the only drawback.

By the way sorry for the spelling mistake, when you get to my age spelling dosent seem to matter as long as you get over what you want to say:lol:
but thanks again guys a great help from everyone
Ray

·
Registered
2,994 Posts

twilightflyer said:
Hi everyone
thanks for all your input on this one .
The car was a 145 3 dr hatchback
the prob I found was that the gear lever, well what can I say 1st ok, 2nd ok, 3rd well to select this I had to pull the lever all the way over to the right , let go then it would enter 3rd gear, it has some oomph but that was the only drawback.
The gearbox on the boxer engined 145/146 was always clunky. Later cars were slightly better but never as good as the Twin Sparks. Linkages tended to get a bit tight and needed greased every now and again. The springs that self centre the lever corrode as well and this may be the problem on the one you've looked at (this happened on my Boxer 145).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts