Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

New to the forum as I'm currently searching for my first Alfa and hoped some of you could answer a few questions I have.

The reason I'm looking at changing cars is due to the extra miles I am having to do now and so my fiat is becoming too expensive to run with the mpg being quite low. So I was looking for a nice looking car, that still had good MPG. The 159 definitely ticked those two boxes and so I am searching for a nice one to pick up. My question though... which one?

I'm looking at the diesels for the better fuel consumption, but finding information on which one to go for is proving difficult... that or I'm just looking in the wrong places.

So which 159 is the best one to go for with the better MPG in mind?

There seem to be various versions of each, Turismo and Lusso, I'm assuming it is regarding different trims, but what difference? and which is best?

Also I have looked about with regards to known faults and my mind has been eased by a lot of people saying that the reliability issues, that have supposedly haunted Alfa's have been sorted, but are there any common issues with these cars that I should be aware of when buying?

Thanks for any help.

Paul

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Not an expert on 159's but the 2.4 5 cylinder diesel sounds and goes well but for economy my guess is the 1.9 diesel.

Petrol engined cars for me are always going to give more smiles per gallon though :p

Turismo and Lusso are trim levels, the latter being posher I think!

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Hello and welcome.:)
All your questions have at sometime been answered, try the search feature in the 159 part of the forum.
Sorted... :thumbs:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Personally I wouldn't buy the 159 JTDm for economy reasons, mine gets around 38mpg, mostly A roads.

I'ts quite heavy and needs revs to pull it about.

My old A4 1.9 tdi used to get 50mpg all day long, but the Alfa has more personality, spirit and is a nicer place to be inside.

A

·
0 Posts
Yep, the 159 isn't great on economy but then again its not horrendous. I get between 38-42 mpg depending on usage. Don't forget about the 2.0 diesels lads.....although these are only on the latter models. There are 136 and 170bhp versions of the 2.0. I have the 170:inlove: (although its not fast, just pokey).
The 2.0 is less prone to EGR & DPF issues apparently.

Spec wise you have five choices:

Turismo - very good spec actually - don't discount it - has cloth seats (which I actually prefer anyway) - lacks blue and me though (USB audio and bluetooth)

Turismo Sport - Same as above but larger 17 inch wheels and USB etc and sports styling

Elegante - Same as the Lusso but with Alfatex seats (my choice but these are really rare)

Lusso - Has all the toys and luxuries. Includes leather seats.

Ti - Not as loaded as a Lusso but has nicer sports seats in either leather or half leather and side sills and massive 19 inch rims etc

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Welcome to AO :)

Without being bias id go for the 2.4 JTDm in lusso or Ti trim. Its quicker then the 2.2 JTS, and 1.9 JTDm. In addition for a diesel it is quite sporty and refined, not to mention has a great amount of torque. The 1.9 is a great unit however does slug on take off and does feel like a diesel. The 2.4 also sounds rather nice when revved and in sport mode. As for the 3.2 V6 its up to you however if its frugality that your after best stay away.

In regard to the modern engines (1750 and 2.0 JTDm) haven't really driven either but have heard that both are a hoot. I guess it depends on your budget.

In terms of trim, in Australia there is only one trim level which i think matches the lusso level of the UK and of course the Ti trim. Id go for either of the two as it sets the 159 to be more complete.

Either way sus out the 159 tech. lounge for a complete comparison, however the 159 is an awesome car in any engine or trim model :cool:

Best of luck on your purchase :thumbs:

Saluti, Giordano.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ti - Not as loaded as a Lusso but has nicer sports seats in either leather or half leather and side sills and massive 19 inch rims etc
Never knew that, I thought the TI was the lusso with extras. Certainly my TI (57 plate) has pretty much everything bar the front parking sensors and sat nav but as i bought it second hand i've no idea what was added as an option and what came as standard.

A

·
0 Posts
Well it initially didn't come with full leather - that was an option and also the Ti didn't have tri zone climate control as that was an option too. Overall though I still think the Ti was still better specced....just differently specced!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts