Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Buying advice multiair 170s

Tags
170s
1K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Mike Multiair 
#1 ·
Hi could anyone offer me some advice regarding buying a Guilietta multiair? I keep missing good ones as they sell so quickly. But I've found one with low miles that has limited service history, but has just had its multiair unit changed but not the cambelt which was due two years ago. I don't know ifif it's a good idea to view it. The seller has said that he'd change the cambelt. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance
Mark

#4 ·
When I was looking for Gs with MultiAir the advice is to go post-2012. I also bought a warranty to cover the car 'just in case'. Had it just over a year and no issues with the engine whatsoever. Unfortunately (for me) I'm selling it as I'm getting a company car and no space on the driveway to keep it so it's up on the classified. Based in Aldridge north of Birmingham and you won't find a better example of a G ;)

#5 ·
Most multi air issues stem from not using the correct oil.

I would be tempted to give that car a wide berth, as if the owner hasn't bothered to get the cambelt changed then there are likely to be other areas which have been neglected as well.

Reactions: andypj and cue2
#12 ·
I think that they do have a cam belt but the multi air unit varies the valve timing according to conditions & requirements. Sort of a development of the variator in twin spark engines.

Reactions: cue2
#9 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll give it a miss, I really don't want any hassle. Multiairs seem to sell very quickly, I've missed 3 over the last couple of days. Chrisbrera, how much ate you selling yours for? Could you let me know some details please. I'm also considering a 170 jtdm, although I'd miss the reviness of petrol. I've just sold my Abarth 500, and I loved the engine in that.

#11 ·
I did try to PM you but unable to. I'd be willing to knock the price down a bit if you're interested as i do need it gone to make space. Use contact details on one of my adverts if interested. As the advert says it's well sorted with service and MOT plus 4 of the best tyres you can get. For comparison the place i bought it from originally have the same spec and mileage but white and auto for sale at 10k!

#16 ·
Do any of you guys own a 170 jtdm, as I'm struggling to find a decent multiair and I can't pm Chrisbrera as I've only just joined the forum. Is there anything I should look for? I'd really prefer a multiair, but I sold my Abarth 500 yesterday and I'm carless at present. I've only got a week to find one before going back work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.