Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm in the middle of purchasing my first Alfa!
GTV TS 2.0 2000 model with 60k on the clock.

Please can you advise as the the following issues I've found?

1. Air bag lights don't come on when you start the car. (Inbetween dials) Are they meant to as part of the ignition sequence?
2. It only has one red key with the car. Can I get more cut and is it expensive?
3. A/C needs re-gassing, how much is this? £60??
4. Cambelt done only 10k miles ago, but 3 years have passed, does it need doing again?

Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi All,

1. Air bag lights don't come on when you start the car. (Inbetween dials) Are they meant to as part of the ignition sequence?
2. It only has one red key with the car. Can I get more cut and is it expensive?
4. Cambelt done only 10k miles ago, but 3 years have passed, does it need doing again?

1.Yes, more than likely bulbs either been removed or airbag system u/s, not an MOT fail though...
2.You can get them reprogrammed quite easilly now!, some Market stalls or key replacement shops have the facility to recode keys for approx 20 quid!
3.approx 40-60 quid depending on where you go, shock horror Kwik Fit is a good choice on an unknown car, no working a/c after regas no payment...
4.advisable yes, mileage and time on the belt, 3 yrs/36k miles, whichever is first...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

With the air bag light... Do you mean there is a good chance the air bags went off and instead of re-setting it all properly they removed the bulbs?

R

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

With the air bag light... Do you mean there is a good chance the air bags went off and instead of re-setting it all properly they removed the bulbs?
No, the air bag light can be easily set off without there being any major underlying problem, e.g. if the seats are adjusted with the ignition on. If the led has been cut out of the circuit board it could just mean that the owner could not be bothered to track down the problem or keep getting it reset. Very unlikely to have had the air bags blown.

I'm not sure if the air bag light is part of the start up sequence though - I'll check in the morning.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

the air bags don't have to go off for the warning lights to go on.

sometimes the warning light can come on just by moving your seat with the ignition on.

EDIT:

aah, pipped to the post there! ^^

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah great, that's re-assuring. One other thing:

The car has a fully stamped service book, 4 previous owners, however there was one anomally when I checked through it all.

The car was first registered in the UK, first service in Twickenham. It was then taken to Germany and was serviced at an Alfa Dealer there, the next 4 stamps are complete upto 45000 miles. However there was an old-stlye MOT in the the papers which contradicted the mileage on the service book.

Service 5: 37554 miles 01.11.04
MOT 50014 miles 12.10.05
Service 6: 44326 miles 04.01.06

The MOT was an old style hand written one so perhaps this is human error? Who would clock a car only 10,000 miles or so?

The current owner I believe to be totally genuine. He's owned it 3 years and maintained it well, I don't think he's as anal as me with paperwork! It comes from years of buying Italian motorbikes!

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
As the other guys said, one of the owners has removed the bulb instead of getting the airbag system reset. Either that or it kept getting faults and the owner got annoyed.

The cambelt is due now. The belt deteriorates due to age, plus the likelyhood that if it has done only 10k in 3 years it has had lots of short trips and cold starts.
Cold starts cause the most load on the belt.

The Air-con may just need re-gassing. More likely there is a leak in the system somewhere, maybe in the condensor (from a stone) or the pipework. If he says it only needs re-gassing, as him why he hasn't had it done..

The keys issue is not as big as it was, but it will be worth using it as an excuse to haggle the price down.

J

·
0 Posts
Hi All,

1) does seem that there is something amiss with the bulb, once a bulb is sorted it is not difficult to reset the airbag light
2) As others have said keys can be copied and reprogrammed
3) most probably a leak, budget on a new condensor at the most £300 + regas and labour and at the least a regas £60. Factor that into the negotiation on the price :thumbs:
4) Cambelt is the first job to be done, another negotiation factor, and it might be with chucking a variator in there as well just to save time and hassle

·
Registered
192 Posts
1) does seem that there is something amiss with the bulb, once a bulb is sorted it is not difficult to reset the airbag light
2) As others have said keys can be copied and reprogrammed
3) most probably a leak, budget on a new condensor at the most £300 + regas and labour and at the least a regas £60. Factor that into the negotiation on the price :thumbs:
4) Cambelt is the first job to be done, another negotiation factor, and it might be with chucking a variator in there as well just to save time and hassle
Are condensers really that expensive, there's one here for £162 delivered? Is it something that can be fitted yourself?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts