Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to spend my redundancy payment on a 159. What do I need to look out for when buying - are there any major faults known? what should I expect to pay for a 2006 JTDM 1.9 with full leather?
Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi, bought 2.4 Lusso 3 weeks ago. Did all the homework. Obviously a full SH is vital. Try and buy one still under Alfa warranty (mine expires 25/05/09) and make sure you get the warranty transferred into your name (there should be a voucher in the service book to fill in and send it away with £25 cheque) I did this and took my car into Alfa main dealer this morning for a couple of things including the EGR valve which was diagnosed as u/s. They checked with Alfa to make sure I was named as the owner/warranty and it was all put right under the warranty! Best £25 I have ever spent as it would have been over £500 with the other bits and pieces done! The other thing to check is that any service carried out has been within a 1000 miles/ or 30 days of when it should have been done. If any service has been late Alfa could refuse any warranty claim (its in the small print on the web-site) so V. important to check this! Hope you find the car you are looking for, I am really pleased with it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's brilliant advice - thanks very much. I have printed it off to keep in my advice folder.
What made you go for the 2.4 over the 1.9? what colour did you get?
Did you buy private or trade? - who are you local dealers? I can only find one local dealer and you're not far from me. Thanks, Fiona : )

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
I have owned both the 2.4 and the 1.9 JTDm. The 2.4 is a fantastic engine but thirsty and the 1.9 isn't bad and more economical (approx 32.5 mpg over a year vs. 41mpg over a year in my cars).

Common faults are creaky windscreens (can mean a windscreen refit to solve) and some cars (more so the 2.4 JTDm) having DPF and EGR faults. Check the service history and ask to see if the previous owner has left in any service reports about these things or if the dealer knows the service/fault history of the car.

Best of luck :thumbs:

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Common faults are creaky windscreens (can mean a windscreen refit to solve) and some cars (more so the 2.4 JTDm) having DPF and EGR faults. Check the service history and ask to see if the previous owner has left in any service reports about these things or if the dealer knows the service/fault history of the car.
DPF faults are very rare these days and I think the 1.9 is just as prone to egr problems as the 2.4. From recent reports egr faults seem to be fairly common to most modern diesels and not just AR's (pollution control technology still not reached its zenith in terms of reliability).

Anyway, as long as you have a good warranty to pay for any egr problems you should be OK. The car will not leave you stranded if the egr goes wrong, it just loses power.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyway, as long as you have a good warranty to pay for any egr problems you should be OK. The car will not leave you stranded if the egr goes wrong, it just loses power.
Thanks for all the advice - just so I know - how much does the egr thing cost to replace if it went wrong out of warranty?

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
DPF faults are very rare these days and I think the 1.9 is just as prone to egr problems as the 2.4.
Hunter wouldn't agree :(

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
One car doesn't make the faults common.
No, thats very true. But my faultless Ti has now started having issues linked to the DPF.
My 3rd 159 and the same issues again.
At least I have a 100% record... :lol:;)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hi, bought 2.4 Lusso 3 weeks ago. Did all the homework. Obviously a full SH is vital. Try and buy one still under Alfa warranty (mine expires 25/05/09) and make sure you get the warranty transferred into your name (there should be a voucher in the service book to fill in and send it away with £25 cheque) I did this and took my car into Alfa main dealer this morning for a couple of things including the EGR valve which was diagnosed as u/s. They checked with Alfa to make sure I was named as the owner/warranty and it was all put right under the warranty! !
Alternatively, you can pay a charge at your local Alfa Dealer and get it transferred that way (saves you waiting) - Thats how I did mine.

Sounds like you had a similar experience to myself, took it in because of a dodgy SV Motor (I have a Brera) and found out the EGR Valve was faulty!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have just (3 weeks ago) brought a 159 Sportwagon Lusso

I went for the 1.9 just for the mpg over the 2.4 as I do about 3000 miles a month

EGR and DPF faults are commen with BMW/Audi/VW/Saab and of course Alfa, its not the car being un-reliable its the technology being fragile and manufacturers have to fit to meet current Euro regs

My windscreen has never creaked and the only rattle there was was traced to the autodim rear veiw mirror and stopped (by switching off of automatic)

I aslo figured tyres would have a better life due to less weight and torque

Head would say buy 1.9 heart would say 2.4, but I am in no way regretting my choice of 1.9

·
Registered
972 Posts
I picked up my 2.4 159 SW yesterday having gone through exactly the same decision process. Totally agree that the 2.4 will cost a lot more in fuel and tyres; but in my view it's worth it, especially as used examples don't seem to cost any more than a 1.9 (mine's a '57). If money's tight the 1.9 is undoubtably a choice you'd be very happy with; but if finances permit the 2.4 is an awful lot of fun :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Fiona. Sorry but been working away! I actually found my 159 in Tring Hertfordshire at a non-Alfa dealer. There is Fish Brothers at Swindon or Blades at Cheltenham. Buying from a main dealer will always cost you more but on the upside you should get a full year warranty if there is less than that on the car you are interested in! Use the used car search on AutoTrader, thats how I found mine. Please let me know if I can help in anyway, I think you can send me a personal message? Cheers.

·
Registered
32,440 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you get one with the horseshoe alloys, the only accessory you'll need is a pressure washer, unless you want to sacrifice much of your family life.

Make sure you've got enough annual leave left at work in case you need to change any of the bulbs at the front.

Have a book of pre-prepared quotes ready for the following questions you'll get from others....

"Bet you've got another one at home for when that one breaks down eh?"
"You re-mortgaged your house for the repair bills eh?"
"''ad any trouble with it then luv?"
"Oooo, taken a bit of a chance there then haven't you?"
"Couldn't afford a 5-series then eh?"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep - it's worse when you're a woman. You should have seen my Dad and brother when I bought a SEAT Ibiza - they tore a strip off me (mind you it was an impulse purchase at a car auction) anyway, it's done 221k and NEVER given me a minute of grief whilst my Dad went and bought a Rover 75 2.5 V6 ........and my brother bought a camper van......it all comes around you know:p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts