Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
After years with Abingdon products its time for my first Alfa. I have been looking at one car in particular and I would be grateful for any input.

The car is a 1.6 lusso 5 door on an 03 plate with 31000 miles and full sevice history, 1 owner. There are the usual stone chips and door dents from the car park, the roof seam seals are lifting slightly. The engine makes a brief rattle when started from dead cold but this stops after 2 or 3 secs. There is no smoke or other nasty noises.

The cam belt hasn't been changed so I know that needs doing. Otherwise a sound car. The garage wants £6700.

Is that a good price or should I hold out for less due to the cam belt? And are there any other things I should look out for?

Thanks

mgman

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Welcome along.

Yes, the cambelt is overdue a change. It's 36k or 3 years, whichever comes sooner, so it'll need to be done. Expect to pay (for a 1.6) IRO £350-400.

If the rattle sounds like a diesel engine, then the variator is knackered, and that's usually changed as part of a cambelt change. That said, 31k seems a little premature for the variator to go, but if the previous owner wasn't too vigilant about oil levels, it's possible.

The price seems about right to me, but with the cambelt issue in mind, haggle hard. Good luck :)

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Hi there , Ihave just asked my local indie up here in scotland for a price on a cambelt and tensioner change and it was about £150 plus vat , there is only one belt on a 147 so thats a bit easier on the pocket and if the variator has been fine which I expect it to be at that age thenyo will not need that, hope that helps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi MGman, welcome to the happy house!

Ours does the same on start up, its the variator more than likely. Get the dealer to do the cambelt and variator to prove thats the fault, then give them the asking price, saving yourself quite a few bob:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi People

Many thanks for the welcome and advice,

The sellers would not drop the price or change the belt, so thats one sale they have lost! The hunt continues - I will succeed.

Cheers,

mgman

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
mgman said:
Hi People

Many thanks for the welcome and advice,

The sellers would not drop the price or change the belt, so thats one sale they have lost! The hunt continues - I will succeed.

Cheers,

mgman
mgman welcome to AO, I don't blame you from walking away from this one, sounds a bit expensive.

Btw, my variator was on the way out when I bought the car at 15k miles.

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
If you might be interested we will be selling my wife's 147 1.6ts lusso,next month.Full AR service history,04 model in Gabbianao blue,5 door ,1st registered in May 04.recenty serviced (with new plugs,filters,etc,oil) and just 8k miles on the clock.
We were going to p/ex it against an MPV but we would be open to the right offer.

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
If you might be interested we will be selling my wife's 147 1.6ts lusso,next month.Full AR service history,04 model in Gabbianao blue,5 door ,1st registered in May 04.recenty serviced (with new plugs,filters,etc,oil) and just 8k miles on the clock.
We were going to p/ex it against an MPV but we would be open to the right offer.

T

·
0 Posts
...Also remember that with 147 depreciation, a year after buying yours, it'll be worth about 2p...

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Our variator was knackered when we bought the thing at 30K or thereabaouts. I won't repeat how long it's taken me to get round to fixing it.
That dealer seems to be in the land of misty cuckoos.

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
mgman:

Try Cars-by-Mail ... sends you a regular email with cars for sale ... the model selection isn't that good but you can limit the values, etc. Might be worth a try ...

BTW: We've had a 1964 MG Midget MkII which I rebuilt, a 1.6 MG Maestro (with the voice-synthesiser! and clocked!!!), and a 1988 MG Montego 2.0 from new (company car then bought off leasing company) and an assortment of Austin, Rover and Triumph badged cars. First Alfa was a 1981 75 TSpark LE and now the 156 .... get one, you won't look back!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Guys,
Well after the disappointment of not getting the car mentioned at the start, I have taken the plunge and I am now the proud owner of my first Alfa , yipeeee!
I have got a 1.6 Lusso 03 plate with 25000 miles. And the dealer I got it from has just replaced the belt and tensioner ! Can't wait to collect it at the weekend.
Thanks for all the advice, Alfa owners seem just as friendly and helpful as MG owners are !

Mgman (or is it Alfaman now).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts