Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello
thinking of buyin another 155 v6 (1994, with 100 000 miles on the clock), but here's the deal: the owner knows NOTHING about that car:mad: . he doesnt even know when the oil was changed last time. plus, the car wasnt driven for about a year:confused: . it couldnt even start. a few days ago he fixed that (he said that the problem was in camshaft sensor, so he changed it). now here's the question: is it really smart to drive a car like that without changing the tensioner, because it is pretty expensive (about 350 euros). the guy that works in alfa garage told me that a complete service will cost me more than 1.000 euros, so without changing the tensioner i could cut it down a little. and lets just assume that the owner before this guy changed all af that at 72.000 miles, is it safe to drive her without changing any belts? could the not-driving cause any serious damage on the belts (especially timing belt)?

and another thing, the car is from a year 94, but widebody. could it be?? or someone did some bodywork.
thanks

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
without having proof of a cambelt change i would not drive it, if there is no history the cambelt needs changing, they need changing even if the car has done no miles and just sat for years, one year with no use is the same as 25,000 miles of use

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Go for it! :thumbs:

First of all, the tensioner is a magnificent thing. It's supposed to be changed at 72,000 miles .. so if yours was done, it doesn't need to be changed until 144,000 miles.

Assume it wasn't done though.. try to change it as soon as you can.. but I certainly wouldn't be paranoid about it.

Check the part number too.. some tensioners were more expensive (hydraulic?) and your Eur350 quote may be for one of those. You have to go to an Alfa dealer and tell them your chassis number.. they will tell you what tensioner you're supposed to have, The simple spring tensioner is about Eur120 max.

The service is Euros.. but that's more or less an oil change plus new filters.. You could do that yourself and save money for changing the cam-belt.

The cam-belt is likely to be in good condition.. they last forever on the v6. Mine come out like they're new. If your belt looks dry or dusty, never mind "old" then it's the original. If it was changed 30,000 miles ago, it will look "moist" and shiny still.

Change the oil for good 10W40. Put a new filter and air filter in there.. You should also change the spark plugs...

Check the clutch and gearbox are smooth at that mileage. I'd put new oil in the box too.

That's it.. v6 is not just a normal car.. it's a legend. You will only appreciate what that means when you own it. :)

Ralf S.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
first of all, thanx for all the usefull information, guys...

guy at the shop told me that i need an automatic tensioner. but can i still go with the regular one?

should i get them valves cleadred?

i was looking at autodata, and it says that cambelt should be changed every 75.000 miles?!?!? can they really last that long? i mean, i'll change mine asap, but just wondering...

and what about that '94 widey... still confused about that :confused:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
cambelt should be done every 72k on the v6, although replacing it sooner is always good practice just to be on the safe side

1 - 6 of 6 Posts