Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning All,
New around here, first post! I'm Pete. Been driving a Golf for three years now, and I'm a pretty bored of it! I want to downsize (party for economy, mainly for fun!), and most other stuff in the mito sort of size isn't very appealing! I did drive a Polo as my first car, and lets face it, that wasn't v exciting at all... And I don't really like the look of Minis on the inside.

Test drove a MiTo over the weekend, red 1.4 MultiAir TB 135 and loved it (metallic red, 10k miles on the clock, blue&me - all I wanted, and at a price I'm happy with!) - might as well be new rather than used! Thing is... I had cruise control on the Golf and I'm worried I might miss it on longer trips.

The dealership I went to also have a blue cloverleaf with the more powerful multiair engine and all the extra bits and bobs you get on it. But question is... is it worth the extra tax, insurance and £3k (granted it has done only 5k miles)...

Any help and reccomendations would be much appreciated! And general love for the mito to help cement my decision would be ideal!

Thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
42,855 Posts
I have missed cruise control on a couple of occasions :eek: ... but hey ho... I don't do lots of motorway driving ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replying!

£11390 for the red one, £14990 for the cloverleaf.

Seems to save quite a bit by not getting a new one (about 3k across the board at this particular dealership), so I reckon I'm probably better off sticking with second hand! Might have to drive the cloverleaf to test it out. Certainly can't afford a cloverleaf brand new though - £18k-ish is a bit out of my budget.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I paid about £14,700 ish for my new Distinctive 105. Might be worth seeing how much you can haggle a more powerful one down to.

That's a good price for the red one mind.

There's an advance option as well. 0% 50% down now and 50% in 2 years. With free servicing of course.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I expect (mainly because my OH went to school with the salesman we chatted with) that I can probably get the cost of the red one down a couple hundred pounds more. I didn't get very long to test drive it - so will probably go back for an extended run.

How have you found the 105? The 135 had plenty of shove (and about 15 more HP than my golf does at the moment), so I was quite taken by the engine. 170 would be loads of fun I imagine too though!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
If you drive the cloverleaf you wont settle for anything else. i only pay 115 road tax on mine and average mpg is 40 combined. can get 50 on a motorway doing 65

·
Registered
143 Posts
Oh, my 105 is fine. I cycle to work every day, so it's just my runabout. It's nice, quick and economical.

I suspect I benefitted from NOT driving the Cloverleaf. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha, well that is true... I can imagine the sports suspension makes quite a difference. 6-speed too isn't it, the Cloverleaf? It's a 60 plate.

Perhaps I need to have a bit more of a chat with the dealership. No doubt they hold their value equally well though?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's great news p44rnp. It seems everyone on here is happy with theirs! From the sounds of it Alfa have definitely shrugged off the unreliability cliché with their newer cars. A friend of mine has one of the first MiTos, and she's been really happy with it.

Did you consider anything else before you went for the MiTo? All I've looked at is the Polo, which didn't compare in any way, and was about the same price :rolleyes:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hi washdogg.

Glad to hear you want a mito, i tryed many other hatchbacks but the mito turned out the best for me. I have one of the older mitos a 95 turismo with a few mods which i have owned from new for two years now. I am still really happy with it and love it to bits. I will be honest though i am a little bit of a petrol head and would off liked it to be quicker ( however at the time the 95 was the only available spec for me due to insurance and cost) i would reconmend you try both however i reakkn the QV is a monster and you will love it. If tou can afford it go for it as you will regret not having it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Mito01. Might be dangerous testing the 170HP engine, but does sound a lot of fun! Will have to see how forgiving the suspension is though, if it's firmer. Roads round here seem as though they've been layed in the dark...

I'll keep you posted on my decisions!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thanks Mito01. Might be dangerous testing the 170HP engine, but does sound a lot of fun! Will have to see how forgiving the suspension is though, if it's firmer. Roads round here seem as though they've been layed in the dark...

I'll keep you posted on my decisions!
Good luck on ypour decision...but as mentioned once you have driven the Cloverleaf you wont want anything else..!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Will have to see how forgiving the suspension is though, if it's firmer.
would say it's both really - not tested it on a truly awful road, but it is much tighter/firmer going round the corners, but more forgiving on harder bumps thanks to it being adaptive. it basically a sort of valve that allows it to give against real harsh bumps but to resist against lesser forces (ie cornering). impressive really since the 17s/18s have less cushioning too

this is at least compared to a 120 in lusso spec

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Just a small thing, the Cloverleaf won't cost you any more road tax because it's still a 1.4. They don't take into account extra power and turbos, they just look at the engine size! :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
@matt

road tax is done on fuel type and CO2 emissions - at least for models after 2001 like the mito

but generally speaking, the smaller the engine, the less the CO2 produced

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
..the Cloverleaf won't cost you any more road tax...
I think it does - the 135 is quoted at £95 and the cloverleaf is £115 - so not a massive difference, and still cheaper than the Golf - so all good.

Plus the insurance is about £100 more for me and the OH than the 135 for the cloverleaf - but again still about £100 less than the Golf!

Winning prospects all round really.

Just need to see what the money box says!

Interesting what you say about the suspension though @vorsprung. I'll have to see what it's like if I take it for a drive.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Ow, maybe I got it wrong then. My bro, in his 1.4 125bhp turbo A3 pays the same road tax as me in my 1.4 non turbo 95bhp, so I thought it was just down to engine size.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts