Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm looking at buying a used Mito 1.4 TB Lusso 3dr this weekend, apart from the standard used car checks and test drive can anyone point me in the direction of Mito related things to look for?

Cheers

Hurdle

·
Registered
84 Posts
Make sure the gearbox doesn't make a whirring noise in all gears that gets louder as you go faster, or that the gearstick doesn't twich in 1st and 5th gears (sometimes others too). These are symptoms of bearing failure that plague the 6speed box. Worth searching for the m32 box online.

Check if the windows squeal in the dry, could be failed regulators.

Batteries can be a weakness it seems but not the end of the world. Also worth checking the exhaust for rust. Seems common for it to rust through the outer shell which means it is only a matter of time before the exhaust will need attention. Only comes as one whole piece so a custom job is a much better option.

Other than that the usual applies, at least annual oil changes, quality tyres and general condition. Don't fall for the long service interval trap either, over 12 months is just asking for trouble!

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Seized rear calipers, front strut top bearings (funny noises at slow speed and when turning the wheel whilst stationary), front drop links (general knocking noise), broken front springs, various trim rattles, power steering faults (electric power steering can be sorted for £150 plus labour), the previously mentioned M32 gearbox problem (can be sorted out for around £450 inc labour).

If you drive the car make sure you leave it in D as N is for grannys and feels terribly flat and horrible. The car is much nicer in D but sadly you need to put it in D each time you start up as it defaults back to N.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
If it's a TB 120 then you needn't worry about the gearbox problem as this engine has a 5 speed box, which is fine. It's the TB 155 which has the problematic 6 speed box.

If you're unsure which version it is at this stage (on Auto Trader the adverts don't always say or aren't correct), you can put the registration number into https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/Default.aspx

If the CO2 is 153g/km it's a TB 155. If it's 145g/km then it's the TB 120 :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi All

It's a TB 120 5 speed manual, unfortunately I can't afford so to insure the 155 haha. Thanks for all the sound advice, hopefully I post some pictures if it's in good condition.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Check if the windows squeal in the dry said:
Worrying for me then, my driver side is making a really embarassing racket going down, not so much up but still embarassing:paranoid:

I saw on You Tube that a temp fix could be using a lubricant so I'm going to Halfords for some.http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/lubricating-penetrating-oil/3-in-one-professional-silicone-spray-lubricant-400ml?_$ja=kw%3Aviglink%7Ctsid%3A40392&cm_mmc=Affiliates-_-PerformanceHorizon-_-viglink-_-TopLink

I am servicing it on 3rd June and really could do without any more nasty jobs needing to be done.

Oh well you takes your luck and all that. I found out about that lubricant from the BMW forum which made me smile ALOT:biglaugh:

I have to get that squeal fixed before my friend gets in this car, they are already taking the p*** about my choice of car

1 - 9 of 9 Posts