Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying my first car – I am looking for an automatic. However, my budget is very, very low – up to 50k. I have got advice on other forums, but the feedback on buying an Alfa, at that price range, has been overwhelmingly negative. I figured this would be the best place to ask and either add to the views of the naysayers, or give me a sense of hope that it is possible to buy a cheap Alfa without having to take out a 2nd mortgage to maintain it and keep it on the road.

I don’t know if it will make a difference either way, but I will not be driving the car for hours on end – in fact, I will be using it as a local “runabout”, basically just driving to work and back and to the shops etc – all of which are within 5kms of home. Of course, to fully appreciate the car, I would like to take it on the occasional road trip.

Now, I don’t know much about cars, (some may think this enough of a reason for me to stay away from Alfas), but this is what my heart desires! What I am aware of so far is that I should avoid the selespeed variants at all costs. Is this true? If so, what auto model/variant would be a better option? How about the probability of electrical problems? Is there anything I need to be on the lookout for there? Is it safe to say that I would be ok if the car has been serviced regularly?

I have seen a few 147s within my price range, so I guess that is most likely the model I would be able to afford. Can anyone offer me any tips or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
First of all welcome.

I am also in the market for a selespeed 147/156.

What has been said to me by forum members. Either buy a cheap good body non runner fix the clutch,selespeed,engine if it has high mileage like 200000km as all these parts would be on it's way out.

Or buy

One of the two but with a full service history and still run the risk to spend more than needed.
The earlier 156's were less prone to problems as it didn't have VDC an Can computers like 147.

These cars are Great value for money as no other 2nd hand cars have all these features under 50k.

Have a look on
South Africa alfa classifieds - Gumtree South Africa Free Local Classifieds

Junkmail.co.za
Automart.co.za

Enjoy you'll be spoiled for choice

The selespeed's last if well maintained Oil and such.

Hope you become an alfaowner soon!

K

·
0 Posts
Could not force me to own a selespeed . And i am an alfanut and onto my 23 rd alfa. Stay away .

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Could not force me to own a selespeed . And i am an alfanut and onto my 23 rd alfa. Stay away .
My God, you've owned 23 Alfas! You're certainly a dyed-in-the-wool Alfaholic and one lucky guy! :)

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I am lagging behind a bit - only 17.... including the 4 I have now.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Damn I'm way behind...only had 2, have one now, will have 3 next year definately!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I'm on 16 and counting:lol:

To answer the original question.
The Selespeed is brilliant when working but a bit temperamental when old and could cost more than 50% of the purchase price to repair.
If you want an auto Alfa a 166 would be your best bet but they are big and thirsty so probably not what you want for a short distance commuter.
Brilliant cars and easily had for under R50k.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Proud to announce that I owned more than 25 Alfa's although I did not drive some of them for long.

·
Registered
476 Posts
#5 and conting

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Only 5 shame on you.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am looking at buying my first car – I am looking for an automatic. However, my budget is very, very low – up to 50k. I have got advice on other forums, but the feedback on buying an Alfa, at that price range, has been overwhelmingly negative. I figured this would be the best place to ask and either add to the views of the naysayers, or give me a sense of hope that it is possible to buy a cheap Alfa without having to take out a 2nd mortgage to maintain it and keep it on the road.

I don’t know if it will make a difference either way, but I will not be driving the car for hours on end – in fact, I will be using it as a local “runabout”, basically just driving to work and back and to the shops etc – all of which are within 5kms of home. Of course, to fully appreciate the car, I would like to take it on the occasional road trip.

Now, I don’t know much about cars, (some may think this enough of a reason for me to stay away from Alfas), but this is what my heart desires! What I am aware of so far is that I should avoid the selespeed variants at all costs. Is this true? If so, what auto model/variant would be a better option? How about the probability of electrical problems? Is there anything I need to be on the lookout for there? Is it safe to say that I would be ok if the car has been serviced regularly?

I have seen a few 147s within my price range, so I guess that is most likely the model I would be able to afford. Can anyone offer me any tips or suggestions?

Simple.. buy a manual. If there is a good reason you cant drive manual. Best look at 166. Do your research properly on the specific car and see what preventative maintenance is necessary.

·
Registered
274 Posts
O yes always remember you are buying a old car. it is going to need some tlc especially cos it is a alfa. it is fairly expensive to maintain so people tend to neglect the cars.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
especially cos it is a alfa. .
:cheese: :cheese:
Precious.

Fortunately it’s not a Subaru services on them are an engine out exercise seeing that you have to change the head gaskets and oil at 20000km intervals.:vomit:

·
Registered
3,731 Posts

Hi, welcome to the forum.

An Alfa mechanic has advised me to stay away from a Selespeed model.

Alfas are great cars. Perhaps the best bet would be a 1.6 147 manual. In 2005 an Italian motoring magazine held a 24 endurance race to test the reliability of stock production cars from all the major motor manufacturers including the likes of vw, toyota , honda etc.
After 24 hours of non-stop driving the Alfa 147 1.6 took top honours by finishing FIRST, covering the most number of laps with the least of problems compared to all the other cars.

To add to this crowning glory, the 147 1.9 jtd also took top honours in the diesel class!

Last year a friend of mine purchased a 2006 147 jtd (diesel) after having owned 7 Audis and a Polo previously. In his own words: 'This is the best car I have ever owned!'

When buying a used Alfa ensure it has been regularly serviced, especially with regards to the cambelt and oil change. Often Alfas are messed up by so-called Alfa mechanics and then people are too quick to label Alfas as unreliable!

Best of luck. I hope you find the perfect Alfa you are looking for.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Nothing wrong with Alfa but if you can only maintain a citi golf don't buy a Alfa since even thou you can get it for cheaper.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
NO, buy an ALFA but stay away from the Selespeed. If you KNOW that something will happen in Hillbrow at 3am in the morning while you walking there, why would you walk there?

Let's comare my two cars I've used for more or less the same reasons:
Alfa 147 T.Spark Lusso:cheese: It was slow but it was the most booootiful hatch out there, no one can argue with that.147's are stylish cars, even to this day when you drive behind one you can't help but be mesmerized. ONLY the clutch broke on me...well, didn't even brake on me, I had it replaced before it went - R7000. GTi's clutch, I had it replaced before it went - R17000. 147 feul consumption - 8.0l/100km, GTI feul consumption 8.5l/100km but anyway - the GTI was at VW more than the Alfa was at Alfa...fact in point. I used the alfa to travel all across South Africa in the year and a half I've owned it and only the clutch is what I replaced, also the cambelts - R6000, GTI cambelt I did - R19000 I think.

This thing or fear people have for buying Alfa's is rubbish. Don't go and buy a kak Alfa! These cars brake certain things, like any car on this world, you just have to know when to replace these things so that it won't brake on you...

buy an Alfa, just do your research very well, when you decided on the car, come on here and tell us I have decided to buy a ..... and what should I look out for...

you'll enjoy driving the car, guaranteed!

PLUS...what looks better??? Alfa obvias..somme miss my car now, the 1st time EVER in 1.1 years that I've missed the 147.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Good post there Lance !

1 - 20 of 42 Posts