Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Made a few posts recently about radiators on the 156.

I have just brought a brand new one today from a place I have always used for my current / previous cars including, Delta HF Turbo, other halfs Fiat Punto, Rover 214 (cough cough) and now my 156.

All in it cost me £101 including the VAT - I am local to the company (Sittingbourne in Kent), and have never had quality issues in the other rads I have brought from them in the past.

As far as I know EB Spares do one for a good price, although Shop4Parts want £178 including VAT and delivery!

As far as I know the company I use can deliver, give them a ring:

SwalKool Rads, 01795 420870

Just thought this might help, and suprisingly they also had 4 other radiators to be collected, all for Alfa Romeos ! :cheese:

Tony.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Is it Copper or Aluminium?

I recently got an Aluminium rad for my Selespeed (same rad as your V6). Made by a Danish company called Nissens.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's aluminium and made by "Kale" - have you had quality issues then ?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Only had issues with the original rad (made by Valeo) and the first replacement rad (also made by Valeo).
They just didn't last long. The last one only 3-years...!
Problem being the copper fins crumbling & falling out.

The Nissens was the only Aluminium rad I could find and should last better than the previous Valeos.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It makes me wonder why quite a few people rate Valeo parts? The radiators fall apart and so do their wiper blades!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Car started overheating on my way home from work this morning, the temp went sky high but did not reach the MAX temp (but the red light did come on) Luck I was only a few mins from home and I turned the engine off at the lights for a few mins which brought the temp down a little.

Got home and lifted the bonnet and the air box was dripping with coolant. All the pipes seem fine, I suspect the rad is leaking.

As the temp almost went into the MAX area on the temp gauge, would this have knackered my thermostat?

BTW, what I wanted to share with you was this company that do the rad for the JTD for £75.44; based in north and South London (and online).

http://www.aaronradiator.co.uk/

They didn't have any instock , but there gonna get one in for me for tomorrow AM. Not sure what make it is, I'll find out tomorrow, they seem to think its made from Aluminium with plastic end caps, but she did not sound too sure...

Also there VIKING-RADIATORS @ £92 + £11 postage
Based in Denham, Uxbridge; MAP - ADDRESS -TEL

These 2 place are by far the cheapest Ive found , average price locally was £135 and no one had it in stock.

·
Vendor
46,141 Posts
I got mine from Aaron Radiators, its copper, just like the Valeo one.

As a point of interest, what conducts heat better, copper or aluminium? The radiator I put in my JTD was aluminium, made by Nissens.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Copper is more thermally conductive than Aluminium.
It also has the ability to store more thermal energy per Kilo so should in theory be able to cool more efficiently(Volumetric
heat capacity).

·
Vendor
46,141 Posts
Cheers, always wondered about that. Glad I went for copper then, even if I have to replace it in 3 years time.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Don't you just love wikipedia for a bit of physics revision:lol:

It also depends on the weight of your radiator too. As all the figures are quoted on there as Joules/Kilo

·
Registered
38,290 Posts
I would rather have an aluminium rad. They may not cool quite as well, but the difference will be negligeable.

Alumunium also corrodes less and is about 1/4 the weight of Copper.

·
Vendor
46,141 Posts
Thats one thing I noticed, the copper radiator was a fair bit heavier than the aluminium one for my JTD. But the whole thing can't have weighed 15 kilos, I'm sure the aluminium one wasn't only a quarter of the weight either. Maybe half the weight if it was lucky..

·
Registered
38,290 Posts
Thats about right. A piece of aluminium the same physical size as a piece of copper will be around 1/4 of the weight.

There must be more metal in the aluminium one.

I just bought a Copper one for my Fiat, as I managed to pick up a genuine one for £90 delivered. They are £130 + Vat and delivery from Alternative Auto's. :eek:

·
Vendor
46,141 Posts
Thats about right. A piece of aluminium the same physical size as a piece of copper will be around 1/4 of the weight.

There must be more metal in the aluminium one.

I just bought a Copper one for my Fiat, as I managed to pick up a genuine one for £90 delivered. They are £130 + Vat and delivery from Alternative Auto's. :eek:
The periodic table suggests that a given volume of aluminium will weigh ~45% of the same volume of copper

(Aluminium = 13, Copper = 29)

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Copper is roughly 3.3 times denser than Alu(Depends what grade). So would be about 3 times heavier for the same given volume.
More alu is prob used on a radiator than copper though to increase it's efficiency.

·
Registered
38,290 Posts
I knew it was something like that, but I didn't manage to look up the exact figure.

I know copper is denser than steel. And steel is around 3 times denser than Aluminium.

:D

·
Vendor
46,141 Posts
Iron has an atomic weight of 26 (compared to copper at 29), I can't imagine steel being much different to iron as it is mostly just iron.

·
Registered
38,290 Posts
Iron has an atomic weight of 26 (compared to copper at 29), I can't imagine steel being much different to iron as it is mostly just iron.
Iron and steel do weigh about the same. Steel is around 99% iron anyway IIRC, but also has Carbon and other elements in it.

·
Vendor
46,141 Posts
Seems like aluminium is half the weight of iron (13 vs 26). When I was working with ally and stainless steel on a regular basis the stainless certainly felt a lot more than twice the weight of ally though.. :confused:

·
Registered
38,290 Posts
If I remember right from school.... :rolleyes:

Just because something has twice the atomic mass it doesn't automatically mean it weighs twice as much.

There is the density to consider too. Iron atoms stay closer together than aluminium atoms. So there are more of them in a given area.

So even if it had the same atomic mass it would weigh more.

I think thats right anyhow. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts