Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you buy a car, new to you, do you expect to have to spend money on it? I have just bought a 159 and once I'd seen and made a deal on the car I expected to have to spend around 1k to get it to the condition that I wanted. After a full 72k service and various other incidentals I am gonna end up spending at least what I budgeted.

I bought my GTV knowing I'd have to change the cambelt, variator, water pump and give it a full service.

My experience is that people don't sell cars in perfect condition.

What is your mindset when buying a non guaranteed or warranted car? Do you expect to have to spend money and find problems or do you expect trouble free motoring without further expense for a while? Do you only buy with a guarantee? In which case do you expect to pay top dollar?

If you are on this site I'm guessing that you are either pretty anal about your cars or looking for a solution to a problem?

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Ive recently been toying with the idea of swapping my 159 saloon for an estate varient but with costing in the cambelt / waterpump and egr/dpf removal and other possibles (upper wishbones and tyres) it dossnt look so appealing.
Also given how much i have spent on my current 159 saloon over the last 12 months of ownership i would be a fool to swap it. Guess i'll keep looking then :lol:

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
It's all relative I guess, if, for example, I spent less than a grand, I'd expect there to be a 'to do list' - however if I spent ten grand, while not expecting perfection,I wouldn't expect to start shelling out on fixing anything...

...If you are on this site I'm guessing that you are either pretty anal about your cars or looking for a solution to a problem?
There's more to AO than that :thumbs:

·
Registered
73 Posts
As a buyer you should do your research and know the weak points of any car you are looking to purchase, I'm sure many people sell their cars because they know some money will soon need to be spent and they would rather put the up-coming funds towards a newer car instead.

Condition is another matter though, really well looked after cars stand out a mile, as does the previous owners attitude during the sales process.

I look for passionate owners who will miss the car they have lovingly looked after with a good reason for selling it.

Buying from the trade on the other hands, this seems a complete minefield with any number of other factors to consider, some good,some bad i would guess.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I did the same as you bought the car knowing what needed to be done to get it right for the next few years. The only difference is my 145 is 12yrs old.

R

·
0 Posts
If your buying an Alfa from someone on here I reckon it will be a good bet! They are probably only selling it cos they can afford a newer/better car. Ask them what the next car is going to be and if they say any thing other than another Alfa run to the hills!! :)

·
Banned
530 Posts
My input as a trader,is that you get warrantys from the garages ( trade ),and none from private punters,the reason you pay more from trade is that they do all the common faults and belts and give a warranty,min warranty of 28 days to 3 month,from the private there is no warranty but they are a lot cheaper,but you will have to expect to do jobs.

Now for instance my friend sold his car to a person a year ago or so,but when the guy came to see it and drove he was happy,the next morning he noticed a couple of small issue's,he was on the phone not happy requesting his money back stating it's not as good as he thought!!,now at this point mate is on the phone to me,what shall I do,I told him to tell the guy to **** off,I asked what problem was,he said the guy noticed to many stone chips on the bonnet,and the hand brake wasn't to good.!!!!,now there is some people out that are your worst nightmare when selling your car,they think that cause you took there cash,your liable for there decision after a week of use.....that really gets under my skin,in my kind u want a warranty,you go a garage,if you want a bargain you go private.

I sold a car last week,the guy phone's me a week later,the battery is flat!!!!!,now I don't know what he doing to this car or the way they use it,but I did know she was 18,first car that mum and dad bought her,I said have you checked if she has left anything on!!!,oh no he said,at that point I hung up.....I hate some people......sorry but that is my imput,hope this helps

·
Registered
798 Posts
I traded my 156 with at least a grand to spend fixing crap. What did I get in return? A GTV V6 with a $1500 cambelt service and also a further $1500 in servicing :lol:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
As with the other replies, I agree.
If you go to a reputable dealer then you pay more than private, but you should expect some warranty and pre-sales preparation (tyres, brakes etc.)
I bought my GT from my boss. She bought it new, and as they have a bit of money, it was her car but used sparingly as they also had a couple of new 4x4's. So although mine was a private buy, I knew the history of the car. Of course, I have still spent around £800 since then on new timing belt and water pump, new wishbones and discs and pads. I don't mind too much as I only paid 5k for a low mileage great condition car. I knew it would need some of the above doing, as its an Alfa and my 2nd one to boot!
I'll end by saying that even though it was bought from the boss (and shes an Alfa addict too) she still said "no comebacks if theres any problems". So, there you go, buy private and you take ya chances!

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I don't actually think about what it might cost. It depends I suppose on the condition, mileage and age.

I try to take whatever they throw at me.
I have had problems buying from a dealer/trader and private. Depending on the warranty and the trader you can still get good or bad.

Unless the car is brand new I suppose I expect to spend an amount of money regardless of whom I purchase it off.

I will say that the VW Passat I bought at just three, five years ago I am glad it was a main dealer otherwise it would have cost me dear :(

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I've owned my Brera coming up two years now. Bought pre loved from a non franchised but extremely reputable dealer. In that time, I've had two services & MOT's and new rubber. The only grand or so that I've had to budget for is petrol. Though saying that, I'm currently looking at a new timing belt, so, very good considering.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you do your homework before buying your car of choice and know beforehand what the known faults are (and they all have them no matter what make,model or price range) if the seller cannot prove whats been done with reciepts then factor your offer accordingly,also always get a full HPI report on a used car no matter what age or apparent condition and if in real doubt get an AA/RAC inspection and remember if still in doubt dont be afraid to walk away there are always plenty others around,it took me over a year to source my Spider and I saw some awful examples in that time but luckily as I had the time (and Patience) I found a really good one which Ive now had for almost 4 trouble free years,so they are out there:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts