Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am seriously considering ordering a fairly high specification MiTo 1.4 TB 155 Veloce (see my other post(s) for details) which could well cost me over £17,000 o.t.r.

I am really looking for some encouragement from Alfa owners in general but particularly owners of MiTos as I am genuinely - and increasingly - worried about the potential unreliability of a pretty expensive car.

I have just flicked through the 2009 What Car JD Power survey and - although Alfa don't seem to get so much as a mention - Fiat have done shockingly badly (again). I had big, big problems with a brand new 'big assed' French car a few years ago and the dealer back-up was utter sh*te. I really do not want to get stung again.....

£17,000 buys a lot of car in todays market - should I spend it on a MiTo....???

Thanks for your help! :thumbs:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Mito Definately!

Dont be put off by the scare storys of people who know someone who once owned an Alfa back in the '70s.
There will be little niggles but the dealer will sort them out and if you are firm but calm (or turn on the waterworks - eh tess?) they should work hard to get things right. All the niggles I have seen so far have been fairly minor or sorted out with mimimum of fuss, plus when you do get it they will have had a good few months to improve the production and checks.

Go on get the 'ickle pocket rocket.

GK

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
hiya dr....dont know if u read my tess's new babe thread....had a few probs with her to begin with but the dealership and ARUK were awesum....probs all sorted now...tho speakers are still crap...unfortunateley chose metallic paint over bose....but shes awesum...i love her to bits...so if u want a car that turns heads and looks soooooo fab...get ur mito....alfas are notorious for stuff goin wrong but thats the "joy" of havin one....so im told:cheese:

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
Mito Definately!

Dont be put off by the scare storys of people who know someone who once owned an Alfa back in the '70s.
There will be little niggles but the dealer will sort them out and if you are firm but calm (or turn on the waterworks - eh tess?) they should work hard to get things right. All the niggles I have seen so far have been fairly minor or sorted out with mimimum of fuss, plus when you do get it they will have had a good few months to improve the production and checks.

Go on get the 'ickle pocket rocket.

GK
waterworks always works for me...and hey i got my first service for free and numerous cups of hot choc:cheese::cheese:

D

·
0 Posts
I've done nearly 5000 miles in my Mito Veloce 155 over almost 3 months and apart from faulty speaker which was rectified very quickly by my dealer, i've not had a single bit of bother with my car at all.
It's great fun to drive and the admiring looks and thumbs up i get just make every journey in it a complete joy.
Get one. You know it makes sense!! :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I am new to Alfa's and have listened to many "oh well its going to break down don't you know!!!" my reply is thts why it has a 3 year warrenty and 3 years AA cover so it really is no concern, now I have not put many miles on the clock yet but appart from a minor finsh issue on the drivers door handle its spot on and I am loving the car. I have a 155tb not with as many options but it cost me £15700 and I feel I have a good car that is a real head turner.....go on get the car you will love the D mode on the 155tb it will make you :) lots!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have had my 155TB since last Friday and no problems what so ever.....it drives great.... it has done 550 miles.

As for running in, I have driven it normally, however on stopping I do let it run on idle for a minute before switching off to ensure the turbo has oil to cool it off....great car, great performance and I can now see what driving the whole alfa thing is about. The last car, a golf tdi drove itself, it had no soul. :)

B

·
0 Posts
Personally I think that the thing with buying a new car is the warranty, so if you have issues you get them sorted. I've had a 'friday afternoon' French car with a glut of issues and dealt with poor dealers, however as everything got sorted, I still loved the car and it's (so far) been the best car I've owned despite this - even compared to the other fault free cars I've had from new.

I think if you look on forums anywhere you'll find a lot of people complaining about any marque, but there's more content people out there that just don't say anything.

Besides, if you are buying on a PCP does it really matter how bad the car could potentially be if you are guaranteed a futured value for it and there's a 3 year breakdown and warranty on it? I don't think there's many cars made now full stop that are really going to leave you at the side of the road within the first three years.

Having owned an A-Class myself too from new, despite the three pointed star on the front of it, that really was an overpriced car that was exceptionally poor in terms of build, etc.

·
Premium Member
77,205 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am seriously considering ordering a fairly high specification MiTo 1.4 TB 155 Veloce (see my other post(s) for details) which could well cost me over £17,000 o.t.r.

I am really looking for some encouragement from Alfa owners in general but particularly owners of MiTos as I am genuinely - and increasingly - worried about the potential unreliability of a pretty expensive car.

I have just flicked through the 2009 What Car JD Power survey and - although Alfa don't seem to get so much as a mention - Fiat have done shockingly badly (again). I had big, big problems with a brand new 'big assed' French car a few years ago and the dealer back-up was utter sh*te. I really do not want to get stung again.....

no

buy a golf - it's what you really wanted

·
Registered
67 Posts
To be honest we are still tad bit nervous about the reliability issues. This is gonna be our first brand new car let alone Alfa. But 3 years guarantee and AA cover swayed us to Mito mostly among other good points especially after our test drive. I'd say go with Mito.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys - your comments are certainly very useful. I tend to agree that most cars are much reliable now than they were 5-10 10 years ago and I would not expect to get stranded at the roadside too often in ANY new car..... (although my A-Class gearchange conked out on the A4 10 days after handover!!! They did not expect to see me returning on the back of a tow-truck within a fortnight!!!).

The comments about buying a Golf (yuk! the A-Class I have now is dull enough so why would I buy a Golf?!?) and the high price of my ideal spec. are interesting. I have a high spec. (ex-demonstrator) car now and it is great to have loads of kit. BUT maybe I should revisit the Alfa configurator: I could lose a few 'toys' like Xenon headlights and still have a lovely car at a more realistic price. Veloce spec. is pretty good right?

I am also considering waiting a while longer: I am now starting to see some nice pre-registered 155 TB Veloce demonstrators with decent spec. for a little less than the new retail price and - who knows - in 6 months or so there could/should be some cracking deals to be had (and production will have settled down by then....).

Thanks again :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I noticed that the steering wheel adjustment doesn't feel too solid. Has anyone had problems with their steering wheel falling off?

p.s.the veloce is worth it if you want the blue&me phone connection.. for me this is essential as currently I often answer my phone while driving (which is technically illegal) but I only talk if i'm stopped in traffic or at the side of the road (i wouldn't let it distract me from the road). So if you went for a lusso with blue&me, the difference narrows even further, meaning you get a lot more with veloce spec for your money...

·
Registered
467 Posts
I wouldn't worry yourself about it. You very rarely have any car these days that are completely 100% problem free, granted Alfa's in the past have had a bit of a bad rep regarding reliability but at the end of the day that is what your warranties are for.

I done nearly 2,500 miles in just over a month and the only real problem I have had is the rubber strip that is part of the front splitter which has been rectified now anyway.

More than happy with it and would definately buy another I think

·
Registered
164 Posts
7,000 miles in my MiTo - no real problems - only an 'imaginary' one, (turned out to be a passenger seat not locked in place that was causing an annoying squeak) and a no fault one, a puncture in the second week!

MPG is great, averaging about 60 and the power is really useable, seems to ger more and more responsive - or I'm just no longer treating it with kid gloves.:lol:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Probably not the best thing to say seeing as I am picking up my mito in the very near future but here's my opinion:

Mito is lovely but is at the top price for its league (mini possible exception) I was debating for a long time whether to up my budget to the next bracket (brand new BMW1 series, Audi A3, Mazada MX-5, Honda Civic, volvo C30, used Brera etc) But it depends on what you are after, I went for the mito (95bhp veloce) not wanting to push my budget too much as my insurance is incredibly expensive I have to be careful of what size engine I buy or i can't find insurance. Had I gone up a league in price brackets the Mito without a doubt would NOT have been on the shopping list. I will love my mito to bits and will make the jump to the next price bracket with my next car in a couple of years when my insurance has reduced. The mito is an attention seeker which I adore about it but £17k? No I couldn't justifty it for what it is.

Hope I dont put you off, its a great car but expensive compared to other marques in the same price range. (Just think what you could for £17 in the current climate) given that alfa rarely do a deal on the mito.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry but What car is a massive joke, don’t ever go by there reviews! Anyway my Mito just cost me a little over £18k and have not had one problem yet. The only thing i would change is that i would have waited for these new engines there bringing out (which i think is highly unfair to the British market as the car has only just been released here and there already bringing out new engines!!)

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
17000 is the very top of the range for a mito. And with all those extras, it puts it on par with other cars in that price range. But you can get a 155hp mito for 15k and you can't go much faster for that price. (with a new car i mean)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anything but !

Take your £17k and go buy a Mini/Corsa VXR/Fiesta ST/Golf

Mito is a lovely car, but we have given up with ours. Dealer is crap, Alfa arent any better. Ours has covered only 1200 miles in almost 4 months coz its always in the dealers. Trying to reject it at the moment, but failing that i will take the hit and sell an Etna Black 120JTDM Veloce for £12.5k, a £2k hit for 4 weeks of ownership.

Best avoided, which is a shame, coz they look good and when they do go , they are nice to drive. My Mrs has now renamed hers "Might Go", lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts