Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never did this before, so please let me know if I missed something.

1.) paying with bank draft payable to the person on the logbook (is the name enough, or do I need address ets?)
2.) the document we send back to Clare will have my friend's name, but my address (he doesn't live in Ireland)
3.) the car has tax, and doe from September, my insurance covers driving any car I don't own as TPFT
4.) I'll ask the guy to sign a paper that he just sold the car, so I can drive it back from Limerick no problem

did I miss anything?

·
Administrator
87,331 Posts
3.) my insurance covers driving any car I don't own as TPFT

Check your policy as the above may only apply to currently insured vehicles, a temporary transfer may be required.

·
Registered
731 Posts
4.) I'll ask the guy to sign a paper that he just sold the car, so I can drive it back from Limerick no problem
Just take a photo of the signed change of ownership with your phone. You can show that to any garda you might meet. A pic of an official document is better than a hand written note.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice lads.

anybody travelling to Limerick from Dublin (Bray) on Thursday or Friday morning? I'll chip in the cost of petrol...

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
You say it has current DOE..? Its taxed as a commercial then..?
Your insurance probably won't cover you to drive a commercial vehicle.
I'd check first if I were you..:mygrin1:

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
that will be a problem, I'm with RSA as well.
Get a friendly neighbourhood man with garage insurance and you should be covered if he's in the vehicle with you....

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
How does that work then.? Unless the said mechanic is actually driving it..?
Am I missing a point of law here....:confused::confused:
Garage man not mechanic.
Traders are insured in a way that once they are in the car the driver is covered.
@notconfusedanymore

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, thanks to a fellow member I have the car in a place nearby. But now I have a follow up question: how can my non-irish friend get it insured for ~6 hours to drive it to the ferry? There are 1-day insurances in the UK, and in Germany, to export the car, but I couldn't find anything like this in Ireland. And she obviously doesn't want to insure it for a full year for ~4k.
tia

1 - 18 of 18 Posts