Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guy's/Girls,

I went to see the car below on Sunday and Would like some forum assistance/info, I've read the sticky posts and how to guides but I thought I'd post here for additional advice.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Rome...287129?hash=item25b314fd19:g:UG4AAOSw~otWbzD9

I live in Brighton and I would like to know what independent Alfa Romeo support I can expect and who is best to go and see with my potential new purchase, google comes up with a few options but who is good and who is not so good

The Car has 6 Alfa dealer Stamps, one VAG independant stamp & finally the current dealer has stamped the book showing an oil and filter change, exact mileage is 80706miles and the cambelt was last changed between 2012-2013 @ 40000miles. previous MOT's all present and current MOT valid until end of June 2016.

I arrived unannounced and the car was inside under cover, the dealer has had the car since early December so it has stood for a while, The battery was flat but with a battery pack the car started first push of the button, on start up the car had a rough idle for a few moments before leveling off, and it had a squeaky belt sound from the left side of the engine that didn't go away on a fast idle. I have not driven the car yet, I work in sales and I did not want to waste his time buy driving a car that I had no intention of buying today. If i return then it will be with a view to buy and I shall take the car for a long test drive. Tested everything electrical and all worked perfectly, only thing was the bonnet pull broke in my hand!

I have read the Brera buyers guide but it is more geared to the 159 by the looks of it so any additional advice or sticky links would be great.

All help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
The link doesnt work.
I am also looking to change my car for a 2.4 159 pretty soon, the one thing to look out for is the inlet manifold, the 2.4 has the swirl valves in the inlet which can wear and leak causing poor running. You can get an idea of the condition by looking at the top of it, if the link bar is loose or missing or if there is a sooty oily build up around them then it needs replacing which is a big and expensive job, about £350 for the manifold and 6 to 8 hours labour.
Another thing to bear in mind is the clutch life of around 90k so buying a car around that mileage that hasnt had a clutch might soon need one which with the dmf is another £1k job.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Greetings,

I think you've pasted the wrong link ... took me to a camblet on ebay. Think once that's sorted you'll get some answers :thumbup:

Matty74

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Definitely the best colour :thumbs: ... Echo Jon's words, mines at 93k now, clutch is still fine. Manifold is well gunked, i'll probably have it replaced at 108 service along with 2nd Cam belt change.

Take it for a long drive, mainly for squeaks and clunks ... bushes start to go at this edge, mine's going in next weekend for that work. If you do a lot of miles, they're great, just eat up the road.

Looks very tidy though :thumbup:

P

·
0 Posts
squeaky belt noise is mostly from the alternator freewheel. Common fault on the 2.4 (i think).

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
If the battery was flat, then the alternator would be putting a heavy load on the engine whilst it charges up, the belt could slip until the battery is charged. Get the seller to fully charge the battery and see if there is still a squeal from the auxiliary belt. If you are in Brighton, you are lucky, the best Alfa Romeo tech in the world is not far from you, these guys:

Alfa Romeo Used Cars Ashington West Sussex | Monza Sports Tuning Ltd

I have to admit I'm a little biased! I've know Keith and Kevin for years, Kevin, head tech has worked on Alfa/Fiat since he started in the trade, in the mid 90's.

PS, I should also have pointed out although the car is registered 2008, it is actually a MY 07. In June(?) 2008 the seats changed and some work was done to lighten the unsprung weight.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went to look at that car a couple of weeks ago - it had exactly the same problem with the bonnet release falling off. Something about it didn't quite feel right, and when the guy couldn't find the keys for the BMW parked in front of it to move that so that I could take it out for a drive (!!) I walked away. I've managed to get a cracking Brera now (facelift 09 version) that I'm really happy with - when I've got a bit more time I'll get some pics up. The only advice I would give is to take it on a long, long drive on a variety of roads so you can see exactly how it feels and whether those noises you describe go away. If they don't, walk away - there's lots of good ones out there.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Another thumbs up from me for Kevin at ditchling. Always good advice and good value when carrying out any work. When ever I have been there he always has a really varied selection of cars he is working on. If you Google sussex alfa romeo I think u will find his Web site.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you are worried about the swirl flaps had mine removed by Kevin when he done the cam belt will look up the invoice but I know it was the best price I was quoted. I look at a 1.9 159 sportwagon from the same guy was a great car but I love the 2.4 engine

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Don't worry that the Brera guide seems 159 biased. The Brera is a 159 in very pretty dress.

If Blue and Me (B&M) connectivity for music and hands free is important make sure that it works with your phone, that steering controls work and that the USB connector in the glove box will play MP3. A lot of these are bricked due to failed upgrades.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Also make sure it has 2 keys and that they both work, a replacement is £400 and wouldn't be unheard of for someone to buy a used key cheaply and try and pass it off as the spare.
The used keys can not be reprogrammed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the advice,

I intend on going back to see the car this weekend and go through a systematic list of checks and make the dealer aware that I expect a long test drive, there are two keys with the vehicle and I believe both are fully working. But I will double check all the same.

I will keep you updated.

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts