Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Hopefully I will soon join your ranks as after weeks of looking at the Golf, Focus, Mazda 3 and Audi A3 I've decided to buy an Alfa 147. I live in Australia and I know that owning an Alfa here can be an interesting experience, but they are a really fun car to drive!

I want a Selespeed model as I do a lot of city driving. I'm looking at second hand ones around 2005 as I want at least some warranty left. However this presents me with a quandry as the 147's manufactured in 2005 include both pre and post facelift models!

I really don't mind about the restyling. I think both versions look equally great ... I'm more interested in changes under the bonnet, especially the Selespeed. Is the facelift model any better in that regard?

I also read something about improved suspension (may be in Australia only) but I can't seem to find out for sure.

What about reliability? Is it any better / worse ?

Will being pre or post facelift make any difference to resale value after 3 years? Will it drop substantially when the 147 gets replaced (2008 I hear?)

Sorry there are so many questions!

Thanks
Jammin

·
Registered
391 Posts
G'day Jammin

We have a 2003 (the original design) 2.0TS 147 and love it to death. I've test-driven the facelifted 147 (albeit in diesel), which received a different suspension spec (called comfort) compared to the original - and it is a bit more compliant for Aus conditions.

In my experience the original 147 rides well on 16's but I've driven a Ti on 17's for a week and that was quite harsh in comparison. If you value ride comfort, the facelifted model is the better bet, assuming you like the styling.

Personally I much prefer the looks of the original 147 - IMO the new corporate nose doesn't translate at all well to the 147 design, although it looks great on the updated 156. Comes down to personal preference, I guess.... I'm hoping the original will hold it's value better as it is totally unique in styiling. To me the facelifted 147 looks a bit too generic.

Sorry - can't help with the selespeed issue - mine is a manual.

Either pre or post-facelift car will be a cracker. Enjoy.

Steven

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
Facelift changes include only exterior/interior and suspension mods. Nothing was changed on the engine/gearbox.

Facelift model suspension should be more comfortable. I read that the dampers have 15mm more travel and different characteristic but I dont know any more details.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have my eye on an immaculate pre-facelift '05 for AU$28,500 (private sale) ... only 18000km too!

I drove it today and the suspension seemed fine ... I mainly drive in the city (Sydney) so it will probably suit me OK.

It has a year of warranty left, but I would like to buy the extended 2 year warranty. I'm not sure if this is possible though, as it only seems available to the original owner of the car. Has anyone has experience with warranty extension (specifically in australia?)

Thanks for your comments
Jammin

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sounds likes a nice car you're looking at, Jammin - nice 'n low kms!
Don't know how the warranty works in Oz, but here in SA it can be extended through AR insurance partners as long as the original warranty has not expired (3yrs, 60'kms). I guess it would work the same over there? The warranty is a definite MUST HAVE though, especially when buying 2nd private...
Good luck

·
Registered
924 Posts
For me, the facelifted 156 looks gorgeous but not so much for the 147. But heck, a good deal is hard to ignore so I'd just go for it if you think its right for you!

·
Registered
662 Posts
i was buying a 147 recently and opted for the prefacelift cause i thought it looked more unique and nicer generally esp at teh rear im not keen on the chrome strip that they added for no apparent reason. as for warranties i bought a warranty from warranty direct which will start when the dealer warranty runs out at the end of this month. £505.00 and it even covers things usually considered consumables, ie clutch and battery

·
Registered
767 Posts
Well I have my eye on an immaculate pre-facelift '05 for AU$28,500 (private sale) ... only 18000km too!

I drove it today and the suspension seemed fine ... I mainly drive in the city (Sydney) so it will probably suit me OK.

It has a year of warranty left, but I would like to buy the extended 2 year warranty. I'm not sure if this is possible though, as it only seems available to the original owner of the car. Has anyone has experience with warranty extension (specifically in australia?)

Thanks for your comments
Jammin

Warranty is through ATECO who import Alfa, all claims go through them, so you should contact them. It would be totally different to other countries.

I live in Sydney and my 2002 147 seems to ride fine, but man some streets in Sydney are shocking, the roads is just full of bumps!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just spoke to my finance guy and he gave me these book figures for the pre and post facelift '05 model:

2005 Pre-Facelift - retail $29,300, wholesale $23,700
2005 Post-Facelift - retail $31,200, wholesale $25,900

(all in AUD)

So it's $1900 more for the post facelift. Not really worth it in my book, as I do slightly prefer the pre facelift look :)

It also shows the one I'm looking at is well priced just under the retail mark, and it has leather seats and tinted windows too so I'm going to buy it today.

I also spoke to my local dealer about the extended warranty ... apparently alfa don't do it anymore so I would have to purchase one from a third party provider. I have a year left on the factory warranty so I guess I have some time to think about that.

Thanks for all your help ... it's a bit scary buying a car with such "personality" after 8 years driving a dronemobile, but I can't wait!

·
Registered
662 Posts
actually had to drive my gfs car yesterday which is my old car and i haven't driven it since i got the alfa and my god did it seem slow and heavy, it used to feel quick!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I also spoke to my local dealer about the extended warranty ... apparently alfa don't do it anymore so I would have to purchase one from a third party provider.

Ours came with the Alfa Advantage 5 year warranty - essentially the normal 3-year Alfa warranty with a 2-year extension underwritten by OAMPS. I guess you could contact OAPMS directly. From memory the 2-year extension was worth ~$1,300(AU).

If the dealer won't come at the warranty extension ask them to throw in a free camblet/tensioner change. Would cost the dealer for parts only, so they should agree if they really want the sale. If it hasn't been done already you'll be up for this within a year anyway. Dealers charge ~$1,000 to change the belts/tensioners.

Steven

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This one isn't through a dealer, it's a private sale. And I can't imagine the pretty young lady who owns it changing the cambelt for me :)

It's as good as bought, the finance company is working out the details now. I did already knock them down $500 on an already reasonable price, so I'm happy at that. I realise I'm up for a big service in about a year (it will be 3 years old then, although nowhere near 60000km unless I drive it to Perth a few times!)

I think I'll give the extended warranty a miss ... as even if I can get one it's almost $2000 for 2 years, and I am sure it is full of loopholes!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think I'll give the extended warranty a miss ... as even if I can get one it's almost $2000 for 2 years, and I am sure it is full of loopholes!

Sorry - didn't realise it is a private sale.

The OAMPS extended warranty insists on regular servicing - miss a service interval by 1,000km or 1 month and you can kiss your warranty goodbye :eek:

Enjoy your new car :) :cool:

Steven

·
Registered
58 Posts
the facelifted 147 is so much more worthit!! my Dad has one and it is by far the best Alfa ever brought out (at that time...159 is just amaising) i love the facelifted 147! 17" and by far a better ride than the original 147 on 15". everything about it just shouts out im a better car! he now has a unichip, full supersprint exhaust and 40mm springs. its a great car to drive! the older model from my experience is similar to the 156, the usual Alfa niggles. not that i mind them, after all you buy an Alfa for its sheer personality, but fork out that bit extra and you can get a factory Alfa with as much or more personality with absolutely no Alfa gremlins! except a sqweeky door, nothin some wd40 didnt fix :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts