Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
This is pretty straight forward...
I'm due to buy a 159 2.4jtdm with 210bhp
It's a 57 plate lusso

What problems should I expect?...
I have an Alfa GT and I want an upgrade...

Also if I were to put TI wheels on it will it become a TI?
Or is there much more to it?...

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I don't know whether your GT is an oil burner or not, but the 2.4 is basically the 'big brother' engine to the 1.9, so the same common rail diesel issues apply, i.e. importance of cam belt servicing, EGR valve issues etc.

Unlike the GT, the 159 also has a DPF filter, which (like most DPFs) is prone to clogging up if your driving involves lots of short runs. As always, diesels are much more appropriate for long motorway schleps rather than around town. If you do low mileages, or around-town running, then diesel may be a false economy.

The 159 is a much heavier car, and the 2.4 is a bigger engine, so don't expect great fuel economy. Budget for mid 30s mpg.

The TI is more than just the wheels. It's lowered on uprated suspension, with side skirts, brembo brakes, different interior, more toys etc etc. But don't let that stop you getting bigger wheels ;). Be aware that the 19'' tyres can be expensive and give a harsher ride. 18'' horseshoes or ten-spokes may be a better compromise.

Otherwise, check the steering, as 159s are prone to rack failures. Check for noises when going from lock to lock. After you've got it (i.e. it should be a showstopper), check that the plastic coolant bleed valve at the top of the engine has been replaced with a metal one (do a search), and that the power steering fluid is green rather than red. (do another search ;) )

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
My Ti 57 2008 is for sale....

Has green fluid, and a stainless bleed valve, the drivers seat cover replaced and the later cylinder head.

Ti is lower, has red brembos, side skirts, black headlining, spilt fold seats, many have power memory seats, all have blue and me, different dash metals etc. etc.

A 57 plate Lusso is quite different to a 57 plate Ti, a late 08 is different as the Lusso got upgraded, and the Ti downgraded !

On any Jtd, check for rough cruising, and if you can, use diagnostics to check the DPF % clogged after a forced regen.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have a 58, 2009 SW and average over 3000 miles a month in it with no major issues. Maybe I've been lucky but it seems to thrive on the high mileage.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen the TI and I have fallen in love with it!
Sadly I can't afford a TI but I can a Lusso...
Honestly do you think I'll be disappointed if I get a lusso?...
You can see the car I already have.. An Alfa GT on 18 inch gta wheels
It looks amazing from all angles but I love the 159 grill...

Is switching from my gt to a lusso 159 going to be a move up or down?...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree, despite the xtra running and purchase costs, if the Ti catches your eye your just always going to feel like youve made a mistake.
I am afraid to say....that one :thumbs:

In all seriousness, I think the additional skirts, lowering and huuuge wheels only serve to improve the beautiful lines of the 159.

IMHO of course, it is still better to get a non-Ti than a high-mile, older, lower spec, standard looking A4 or 3-Series that everyone else drives:vomit:

:cheese:

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Why should you check that the power steering fluid is green and not red? And is the plastic bleed nipple to be changed straight away if you buy the car?
159s are prone to steering rack failures. The green fluid is synthetic, and has better (magical :confused: ) properties, while the red fluid is mineral based. It's not absolutely essential, and it's easily remedied, but it's worth doing if you hear any odd noises from the steering rack.

As for the bleed nipple, the plastic bleed screw thermally cycles and eventually fails, causing a total pressure loss. Easily replaced with a metal bleed screw.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Regarding changing the bleed screw - is it just a simple matter or taking the old one out and screwing in the new one ?
I've just bought a 159 24. Jtdm and it's one of the things I want to do ...thanks

C

·
0 Posts
Regarding changing the bleed screw - is it just a simple matter or taking the old one out and screwing in the new one ?
I've just bought a 159 24. Jtdm and it's one of the things I want to do ...thanks
Yes - it was very easy to change on mine.

All I did (with a cold engine) was remove the old plastic bleed screw and swap the rubber sealing washer from the old plug onto the new one. Then, just as you are putting the new bleed screw in, loosen the cap on the coolant expansion tank as this bleeds out any air.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys I've seen the Alfa today and it's a beauty!
A couple of things need sorting but the main thing which I think is gonna bug me is the dash!!

There's a huge scratch on the metal dash...
How much to repair this?....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What does the blue and me actually do?
Also what does the USB port do?..
Can I play music from my iPhone while it charges?...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts