Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all,

Complete newbie here but I have done a bit of lurking around before deciding to post.

I am planning on buying a 156 2.5 v6 in the next few weeks and I would like the opinions of the people who own them on exactly what to look for and what to go for.

I definitely want a v6, i do not want to go back to driving a 4 pot unless it's something really special. It gets murky when all the different specs and options available come up - I have seen lots of different levels of trim available (lusso, veloce, s2, s3) and I am unsure as to what exactly they are - which is best? Are there any options which are considered essential? I would like leather, climate control and the bose stereo if possible but I would rather have a straight car at the expense of such.

When it comes to looking at possible cars, what things should I look for which are specific to the 156? I am pretty mechanically capable and know my way around cars but I am not very experienced when it comes to Alfas.
Do these cars suffer more from age or mileage? Is it preferable to have a lower mileage or younger age?

I'm sure there's lots I've missed here so I'll add to it later, need to nip out for the afternoon.

Thanks in advance for your help!

James.

·
Registered
62 Posts
good choice fella...
bought mine in january and havent stopped smiling. i guess as long as it looks straight and tidy it should be good body wise, but i would walk away from anything that doesnt have a full history. read the threads on here first about what to look for and all will say check the history. good luck in your search.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Here's my 1st suggestion.

Check for knocking from the suspension. Its more of a "when" rather than "if" it will happen. A lot are OK till 90k miles, others 40/50k miles but it depends on the former keepers. There are a few bushes and wishbones, front and rear that are prone to wear. Not the biggest fix in the world, but worth listening out for on a test drive. Tyre wear on the inside edges is common if the bushes are left too long. If its knocking or rumbling on rough roads and speed bumps, haggle.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I might be wrong, but the s2 / s3 is the sportpack cars. A combination of leather, alloys, lowered suspension and sideskirts.

They were replaced by the Veloce in 2000/2001 (I think)

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
I might be wrong, but the s2 / s3 is the sport pack cars. A combination of leather, alloys, lowered suspension and side skirts.

They were replaced by the Veloce in 2000/2001 (I think)
You're nearly right. ;)

All sport pack models got sports suspension, side skirts, 16" alloy wheels, leather steering wheel and gear knob, carbon finish console & orange on black dials.

There are three different levels of sport pack;

SP1 = Alfa sports seats
SP2 = Electric Recaro seats
SP3 = Full Momo leather interior

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So ideally I'll go for an SP3. I've read to avoid the Lusso's.

FSH is what to look for then? I had hoped that as long as it'd had a recent cambelt/waterpump it should be ok for the time being.

Ahh the good old knocking, I don't mind changing out bushes/arms so looks like a good haggling point there :)

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I personally take each car on it's own merits, I have seen some with full history that are dogs because they are ragged to death.My current car is an ebay purchase that was described as having headgasket failure, on viewing the vehicle I knew that it was worth the £355 that i paid for it as it was almost immaculate!! One water pump and cambelt kit later and it looks and drives a million dollars, it has part service history but certainly not full.
It sounds as if you are mechanically minded so don't let the history put you off too much, a clean body will certainly be an indication to how it has been treated!! Bangs for bucks they are unbeatable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I can treat it like I do when buying any other car, that's grand. I assumed I could but after reading a few posts on here I wasn't so sure.

Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
DON'T BE SCARED OF ALFAS. There just like any other car, but better. Another thing to maybe listen for is a diesel like rattle on start up, can mean it needs a new camshaft variator. Can be about 80.00 for new part plus labour. Just something to keep in mind. .:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts