Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Need help guys, we are currently looking to buy a 156 and have been to see a few, most of which were sheds to be honest. However I have a question that has been thrown up by 2 of the cars we have seen. The registration documents say different things to what the car is purporing to be.
We saw a 2.4JTD that said TS on the V5 and MOT, as in twin spark perhaps?
And we also saw a 2.4JTD that the owner was selling as a veloce but I am sure the V5 said tourisme on it.

Is this a normal thing, or should the V5 definitely say the same as the car? Can cars be registered wrong, just seems strange that 2 have been wrong.

Chris

·
Registered
748 Posts
In the first case the docs should not say TS ( Twin Spark ) as this is a petrol engine - fairly straightforward to tell if it's a diesel, as the engine cover should have JTD on it.

Second case, they don't always say the model name on the doc, bt IF it says Turismo then I'd be vary. Turismo was the base model, and Veloce was the more desirable sports model.

A Veloce will have: Side skirts, carbon center console, and black dials with red numbers. Also leather seats ( although they could have fabric Recaro seats, but not velour cloth ). The Veloce also has 16" Teledial wheels, and lower stiffer sports suspension.

Fairly easy for someone to sling on some skirts and Teledial alloys to try and pass it off as a Veloce:tut:

Mind you, the Karbul spec may be different:lol:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, thats what I was worried about, the first JTD with TS on it just seemed very dodgy indeed so we walked away immediately, the second was more interesting as it did drive very well but appeared to have small wheels for a veloce, it was a 2003 car so facelifted inside, but no teledials. Would this be right?

It had these wheels, is this a veloce?

Not sure why it says I am in Afghanistan......

·
Registered
354 Posts
The V5 is not always accurate. When I bought my 156 the V5 described the 2.0 ltr. JTS engine as fueled with "Heavy Oil" ! DVLA corrected this after some persuasion.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The wheels on that pic were standard on Selespeeds, but a no cost option on Lussos and Veloces - so yes it could be right.

In 2003 the Turismos had 15" wheels, all the others had 16" wheels.

·
Registered
748 Posts
hmmm....The grille isn't standard either, but one of those cheapo Ebay ' Scudetto ' mod kits ( essentaily just chromed horizontal bars you stick on )

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
The V5 will say whatever the person at Swansea entered onto it when the car was imported. Its very common for them to be wrong, especially with trim levels (which is essentially what Veloce etc are)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ah ok thanks guys, we didnt go for that car as something was niggling with me but its good to know they could be wrong.

Thanks again - it seems a bit of a minefield trying to find a good one!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
wise move, if it doesn't feel right always walk away.

FWIW my toyotas V5 says its 'blue' when it is quite clearly green!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts