Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyho.

Was pointed here from the "newbie" thread, so excuse the cut'n'paste of the question if anyone's already read it.

Currently without a car since my Citroen ate it's engine, so I'm in the market for a car now. I've always had a soft spot for Alfas, and I think I've decided on a 147 2.0 Selespeed. Am due a fair wedge of cash next week, so have been hitting the classifieds, and doing my research. Apart from the service intervals, inc the cambelt change at 36k, and sparklers at 60, are there any specifically obvious things to look out for?

My list so far comprises...

Rattle from the engine: Worn cam variator
lack of power: possibly air-flow-meter
high biting point on clutch: worn clutch
creak from behind dash: worn upper wishbone bushes
uneven tyre wear: worn suspension bushes
creak from anti-roll bar: needs replacing.
3 warning light check on turning on ignition: ABS, Airbag and FI.
Flashing Odometer: error somewhere in the wiring.

Have I missed anything?

tia

a

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
squeaking from the suspension = upper arm
knocking from suspension = lower arm

both are a replace when knackered item.

you have not mentioned checking the oil. the 2.0TS hates being ran low on oil so check it before test driving, ideally without the garage knowing your going to look at it... if its low on the dipstick walk away.

On oil, it is possibly worth mentioning that the TS will drink oil, or at least in most cases it will.

when test driving make sure the selespeed unit selects each gear quickly, smoothly and quietly. try the operation in both semi-auto and manual, using both paddles and the 'stick shift'. all should operate flawlessly.

also use all the revs the engine has, the TS loves to rev and is very rewarding when pushed above 3000rpm. if you change gear with the paddles at high rpm (5000+) and with your foot down the gear change should be noticably more sporty and quick than normal changes..

I hope these pointers help :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. I'll add it to the list.

Is there any appreciable difference in years?

I've read somewhere that there was a change in the Selespeed system in 2002 onwards. Is this the case, and is it worth paying a little more and getting a newer model as a result?

tia

a

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
there was a change in the sele systems but I seem to recall it was before the 147 was launched (2000) so any 147 sele will be on the newer system.

The 147 was facelifted but i forget which year, 2004 maybe? I had a 2001 model and it was spot on, really enjoyed owning it, so be it there were a few niggles... cambelt went shortly after purchase then in the last year of ownership i had a few suspension woes but these are common faults and easily rectified/prevented.

The opinions on the sele are quite split on here so expect some members to recommend you stick to manual, I personally loved the sele box.

My advice would be go test drive a few seles/manuals and get a feel for them both, see which you prefer.

should I also mention the 3.2 GTA comes in selespeed? ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the GTA comes as a selespeed... but they're a little out my price-range atm.

I need to have enough money left over to buy a van too y'see, otherwise I'd be tempted :D

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well mine is currently letting water in when it pishes down. Check under the mats in the footwells for signs of dampness. I am worried my floor is rusting away to nothing so I need to get to the bottom of the problem asap.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another good tip, thanks..

Is there any mileage after which I should steer clear? I can see quite a few 02 and 03 models with around 60k on the clock. Apart from yhe service history, are there any particular issues to watch out for with higher mileage vehicles, or doesn't 60k count as high these days?

tia

a

1 - 7 of 7 Posts