Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Having just gone through the process of buying a second-hand Alfa GT and now having owned it for a few weeks, I thought it might be useful to pass on my experiences.

Buying

I waited quite a long to get the right GT at the right price. To be honest, there are not that many choices to be made in terms of specification and you obviously may have to compromise on some things. Here were my consideration points:

- Price
- Mileage
- Engine - Diesel vs. Petrol (did not consider V6 - too thirsty for me)
- Practicality - enough boot space / kids fit in back OK
- Leather vs. Alfatex
- Base vs. Lusso
- Wheels
- Options - parking aid / CD changer / heated seats / BOSE stereo
- Colour - Silver through grey to Black for me.

I decided pretty early on that I wanted a Diesel. My last car was a Diesel and I like the torque / pulling power at low revs. Plus you get the advantage of better mpg. I actually sat down and worked out a year's fuel costs using my average yearly mileage, price of fuel and published combined mpg figures. Even though Diesel is far more expensive at the pump, and a petrol GT was cheaper to buy, it still worked out that the Diesel was cheaper to run. Also the tax is cheaper because of the CO2 output - even more important when the tax goes up next year. And insurance was one group less.

My kids are 8 and 6 and we all went to look at a couple of GTs early on just to make sure the kids fit, and to be honest they are pretty good. My 6 year old is still on a booster seat, so she actually needs slightly more room as her feet will not go under the seat, so she sits on the passenger side.

I decided that I wanted to get a fairly low mileage c40,000 mile mark - as I plan on keeping it a while.

Ideally I wanted 17" wheels, leather and parking aid but eventually ended up with 18" wheels, Alfatex and no park aid.

And then I searched and waited - about 4 months until I found one that I liked.

I mostly referenced the following websites during my search:

- Auto trader
- Exchange and Mart
- Piston heads
- Subscribed to Cars by Mail - feeds from motors.co.uk and others
- Cargiant

I ended up with an immaculate 2005 (54) 1.9 JTDm in Stromboli with 40k miles and paid £9000. I guess now we are in the credit crunch and used car prices are sliding, you will be able to pick up similar for less - and if you go petrol and higher mileage you could be talking thousands less.

Living With

I have had the GT for about 6 weeks now and still can't wait to get and drive it every time.

It looks fantastic and makes me smile.

- Engine is very good - maybe not quite as punchy as I thought it might be, but still excellent.

- It corners on rails, I can't believe how stable it is.

- Ride is very harsh - not used to it, so takes a little getting used to. Not helped by 18" wheels.

- Driving position - fine for me, I have the seat quite far back, so the high accelerator pedal is not so much of an issue. When my wife drives though, she cannot get the clutch down far enough using the same position, so moves further forward, and then the accelerator pedal is a little awkward. Clutch pedal is quite heavy by the way.

- Rear visibility is fine for forward driving - but is a little awkward when reversing because you really can't see any of the boot area. Plus there is no rear wiper, so in the morning when the window is fogged, you can only see behind using the exterior mirrors.

- Fuel consumption - well I haven't been driving it that frugally - but I got 47mpg on the one long journey I did, and then around 38mpg on the mostly short urban journeys I have driven since.

Alfaowner is a fantastic resource. Pretty well my minor issues have forums on the site, just search for key words:

- Clutch pedal squeak
- Cruise control not working
- Minor oil leak in engine

Also discovered the warnings about JTDm water pumps from various sources. Mine seems OK but will be keeping an eye on it.

Well hope this helps someone else. I feel amazingly lucky to be owning my dream car. If the GT hadn't been as practical, then I would have had to get something more dull and sensible - so the GT does truly combine amazing looks, performance and driving experience with a good level of functionality.

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
Couple of points:

Regarding the harsh ride - you should really consider upgrading your springs and shocks, especially as you are planning on keeping her a long time this makes sense so you can get the most enjoyment from the car. You can get a lower rideheight for better handling and improve the ride at the same time, you just have to fork out £550+ fitting for a set of Koni FSDs and Eibach Pro springs. Having driven a 156 with this set-up it is amazing - on 17" wheels it soaks up bumps better than my Mondeo with 65 profile tyres and about a foot of suspension travel - honestly amazing.

Waterpump - you cannot 'keep an eye on it', it will work faultlessly until the day it seizes, which is probably a when rather than an if, but I would say change your cambelt at or around 60k and change the waterpump at the same time. Most of the failures we have seen have been over 60K but before the 72k change interval.

Also - do you want to swap your 18"s for some more comfortable 17" wheels? I won't even charge you! :lol: :D

Congrats on your car mate, glad to hear you are enjoying her :cool:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Hi,

Having just gone through the process of buying a second-hand Alfa GT and now having owned it for a few weeks, I thought it might be useful to pass on my experiences.

Buying

I waited quite a long to get the right GT at the right price. To be honest, there are not that many choices to be made in terms of specification and you obviously may have to compromise on some things. Here were my consideration points:

- Price
- Mileage
- Engine - Diesel vs. Petrol (did not consider V6 - too thirsty for me)
- Practicality - enough boot space / kids fit in back OK
- Leather vs. Alfatex
- Base vs. Lusso
- Wheels
- Options - parking aid / CD changer / heated seats / BOSE stereo
- Colour - Silver through grey to Black for me.

I decided pretty early on that I wanted a Diesel. My last car was a Diesel and I like the torque / pulling power at low revs. Plus you get the advantage of better mpg. I actually sat down and worked out a year's fuel costs using my average yearly mileage, price of fuel and published combined mpg figures. Even though Diesel is far more expensive at the pump, and a petrol GT was cheaper to buy, it still worked out that the Diesel was cheaper to run. Also the tax is cheaper because of the CO2 output - even more important when the tax goes up next year. And insurance was one group less.

My kids are 8 and 6 and we all went to look at a couple of GTs early on just to make sure the kids fit, and to be honest they are pretty good. My 6 year old is still on a booster seat, so she actually needs slightly more room as her feet will not go under the seat, so she sits on the passenger side.

I decided that I wanted to get a fairly low mileage c40,000 mile mark - as I plan on keeping it a while.

Ideally I wanted 17" wheels, leather and parking aid but eventually ended up with 18" wheels, Alfatex and no park aid.

And then I searched and waited - about 4 months until I found one that I liked.

I mostly referenced the following websites during my search:

- Auto trader
- Exchange and Mart
- Piston heads
- Subscribed to Cars by Mail - feeds from motors.co.uk and others
- Cargiant

I ended up with an immaculate 2005 (54) 1.9 JTDm in Stromboli with 40k miles and paid £9000. I guess now we are in the credit crunch and used car prices are sliding, you will be able to pick up similar for less - and if you go petrol and higher mileage you could be talking thousands less.

Living With

I have had the GT for about 6 weeks now and still can't wait to get and drive it every time.

It looks fantastic and makes me smile.

- Engine is very good - maybe not quite as punchy as I thought it might be, but still excellent.

- It corners on rails, I can't believe how stable it is.

- Ride is very harsh - not used to it, so takes a little getting used to. Not helped by 18" wheels.

- Driving position - fine for me, I have the seat quite far back, so the high accelerator pedal is not so much of an issue. When my wife drives though, she cannot get the clutch down far enough using the same position, so moves further forward, and then the accelerator pedal is a little awkward. Clutch pedal is quite heavy by the way.

- Rear visibility is fine for forward driving - but is a little awkward when reversing because you really can't see any of the boot area. Plus there is no rear wiper, so in the morning when the window is fogged, you can only see behind using the exterior mirrors.

- Fuel consumption - well I haven't been driving it that frugally - but I got 47mpg on the one long journey I did, and then around 38mpg on the mostly short urban journeys I have driven since.

Alfaowner is a fantastic resource. Pretty well my minor issues have forums on the site, just search for key words:

- Clutch pedal squeak
- Cruise control not working
- Minor oil leak in engine

Also discovered the warnings about JTDm water pumps from various sources. Mine seems OK but will be keeping an eye on it.

Well hope this helps someone else. I feel amazingly lucky to be owning my dream car. If the GT hadn't been as practical, then I would have had to get something more dull and sensible - so the GT does truly combine amazing looks, performance and driving experience with a good level of functionality.

And i thought people bought alfa's from the heart and not the head.:)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thatz a bit cutting!

It's both. I've tried to a bit analytical to help others AND it needed to do the job, but I've loved Alfa since I owned my 155 and really it was only a matter of time before I got another one.

You obviously didn't buy yours from the heart, as you haven't got one!!!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Thatz a bit cutting!

It's both. I've tried to a bit analytical to help others AND it needed to do the job, but I've loved Alfa since I owned my 155 and really it was only a matter of time before I got another one.

You obviously didn't buy yours from the heart, as you haven't got one!!!
No offence intended mate. :) I wish i could show a bit more restraint myself sometimes. Most of my car purchases have most definatly not been made using my head ( most recently a 147 GTA ) .

I appologoise if you found my attempt at humour offensive . good luck with the GT and welcome to AO there are a lot of great ( and very knowlegable ) people on here but also a healthy dose of sarcasm and humour . :) :) :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No offence intended mate. :) I wish i could show a bit more restraint myself sometimes. Most of my car purchases have most definatly not been made using my head ( most recently a 147 GTA ) .

I appologoise if you found my attempt at humour offensive . good luck with the GT and welcome to AO there are a lot of great ( and very knowlegable ) people on here but also a healthy dose of sarcasm and humour . :) :) :)
OK, No Problem - I'll make sure I dish plenty out then!:p

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
What a great car for the price eh? And you got the best colour! We've managed with our 2 boys (aged 5 and 8) in the back - and even took our GT to France this "summer". Good luck with it.

T

·
0 Posts
I've had my GT a similar amount of time (7 weeks).

I considered a diesel but I prefer the sound of the petrol and it was a grand less than the equivalent oil burner.

I nearly, nearly bought a red one. In the end I decided it was a bit too loud for me and went for a grey one instead (it still looks :cool: as do most GTs in any colour apart from that brown one from Ireland).

Uppers:

Looks great and handles really well. No faults to report apart from a few minor squeaks and rattles. I took it on holiday and it was just great - plenty of room for people and luggage and it performed superbly zooming about the country A and B roads even when loaded.

I can't stop myself turning and admiring it when I park up at work :)

Downers:

No reversing sensors - not really a problem as I haven't had to parallel park it yet.

No Bose stereo - my old 147 had it and the bog-standard system sounds weedy in comparison. Guess I'll be buying an ICE upgrade for Christmas.

Could do with a bit more power - I'm tempted to get it tweaked.

Potholes - OUCH!

The spoked alloys are a pain the back to clean.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I've decided that my next Alfa WILL be a GT......red, tan leather, 2.0 JTS......just like the one GrahamP is selling.......if only I could sell my Lotus!!!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Cheers everyone, some excellent insider info posted, you can never tell what a car will be like to live with so your insights are more than just helpful!!

My next car IS going to be a GT, no question of a doubt!! I'm quite looking forward to actively looking for one!! Watch this space...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Cheers everyone, some excellent insider info posted, you can never tell what a car will be like to live with so your insights are more than just helpful!!

My next car IS going to be a GT, no question of a doubt!! I'm quite looking forward to actively looking for one!! Watch this space...
Any update????

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
- 6 weeks now and still itch to get in and drive it every time. Still look back as I walk across the car park into work.

I had a leak into the roof lining - but peeled back the door rubber and sealed aroung the top rear corner which seems to have fixed it. See

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/125683-alfa-gt-leak.html

for more details.

Also, being picky, the stereo sound (non-Bose) could have a slightly more powerful, base sound. Anyone changed front speakers / removed door panel?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Any update????

I've just got back to work after my 1st bought of knee surgery and will have my cruciate ligament replaced in the new year, so i reluctant to get my bella before im driving again or she'll be sat idle for a very long time :( :( :(

pics and posts as SOON as its a done deal

·
Registered
278 Posts
Great car mate. I took the diesel out and was very impressed but I only do about 7k a year so decidedon the 2.0l...Took a V6 out for a drive and just couldnt leave it there. Awesome piece of kit. Couple of niggls with a tight 1st gear chnage when cold but apart from that its spot on.

·
Registered
694 Posts
DJW,
Interesting post. My next car may well be a GT, & probably a diesel (with a remap?), as my kids are getting a bit too big to fit comfortably in the rear of my Brera. Keep us updated with any more thoughts you have.
Matt.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts