Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my last post I was relaying my thoughts on geting another Alfa after selling my 166, for an Audi and then a Ford. Anyway I want to avoid the high car tax band and try runing an older 164/166. I would dearly love to run a 164QV after having one in 02, but not so sure about that now. I have been to look at a 166TS 2001 for under £1400. The cam belt has been replaced and car looks ok. Is there much difference between the 5 speed and 6 speed, will I miss that extra gear? Also is there any other differences when the TS became six speed, in 03 i think. Anybody wanting to sell a reasonable mileage TS pre march 01 let me know. I can't believe I paid nearly 12k for my 166Ti last september and I'm about to buy essentially the same car a year later for £1400. Funny that.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I've got a five speed gear box. I have never found myself thinking "Oh I wish I had an extra gear."

5th on 5 speed gear box is a similar ratio to 6th in the 6th in the six speed box. So I don't think there will be much extra fuel efficiency.

I would choose a 6 speed over a 5 speed but if its a good car the 5 speed would not put me off at all.

Cheers Stuart

·
Registered
364 Posts
I had an 6 speed and 5 speed 2.0 Alfas, and for me 5 speed pulls better, extra gear is only any use for v6 - thats my opinion.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
On my last post I was relaying my thoughts on geting another Alfa after selling my 166, for an Audi and then a Ford. Anyway I want to avoid the high car tax band and try runing an older 164/166. I would dearly love to run a 164QV after having one in 02, but not so sure about that now. I have been to look at a 166TS 2001 for under £1400. The cam belt has been replaced and car looks ok. Is there much difference between the 5 speed and 6 speed, will I miss that extra gear? Also is there any other differences when the TS became six speed, in 03 i think. Anybody wanting to sell a reasonable mileage TS pre march 01 let me know. I can't believe I paid nearly 12k for my 166Ti last september and I'm about to buy essentially the same car a year later for £1400. Funny that.
The gearbox thing is not much of an issue although 6 gears is nice and has been a standard feature on all my cars for past 6 or 7 years. You will not really buying the same car Nick - You WILL notice a difference. I traded my 2003 166 Super in for a 2004 166 3.2 Ti and noted a fair difference. The facelift does feel more modern and the Ti is very special :cool: ;)

If you want a cheaper car fair enough but dont use the tax thing is an excuse, as it is a very minor issue when considered sensibly - Only talking an extra £15 or so a month. I certainly would not make that a reason to go for an older and probably more troublesome motor! The £15/month can quickly dissapear in many different motoring bills!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only have a budget of up to £2500. I have just got back from looking at a 51 TS with 101,000 miles on the clock and they want £2495 for it and that i think is too much, it is in Sheffield though. It has a complete history but was registered after march 01, so it makes it seem expensive compared to the 01 TS in Glasgow with 73K at £1500 and that was registered Jan 01. That is why the tax is important. If it was the right car I would be happy to pay it. I notice on Autotrader there is an 04 pre facelift at £2600 but has 110k. So im not sure what to do. My Ti was of course superior to my first 166 and yes I will notice a difference, but Im extremely excited to be getting a 166 again. I dont mean that a cheaper, older 166 is as good as FL, but it's stil a 166 and if I can get a silver car with black leather I will be well happy and I can wave my mondeo goodbye. May miss the sixth gear though.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Just had a quick look at Auto Trader - fair few cars under your budget - most in silver and pre 03/2001. So you looked at the one at chapel motors I take it? There does seem to be nicer examples for less money (eg. Hamiltons of Peterborough one in silver with black leather, 63k miles - £1795. No trade in - £1500 surely ;)). I am still not sure that a 2000 car is worth more than a 2001, not to me anyway - I would judge dependant on particular car not the tax disc cost.

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess your right the Hamilton car does sound good, but I rang about it in the week, couldnt verify a cam belt change, it has no cd and no sat nav. Not to worried about NAV but annoying when they put it in the adverts. Am i right in thinking that if i buy 6 months tax now and then a year in feb, i wouldnt pay the high tax till 2010 anyway, by which time I will have no doubt changed again. I guess finding a sorted TS will be hard. The car in Glasgow sounds good has had 2 owners in same family and had the cam done 18 months ago at 60K. No leather though and with no part ex could probanly get for £1350? How cheap is that?!

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Am i right in thinking that if i buy 6 months tax now and then a year in feb, i wouldnt pay the high tax till 2010 anyway
Yes, that's right. You could avoid the new £300 charge by doing that and then tax it for £300 next year, just before it goes up to £430.

Dougie's right that it shouldn't affect your purchase if the car is right but there's no doubt it is having an effect on people and I reckon it will knock the prices a bit. It shouldn't harm me when I come to sell mine and can show the tax cost as £185 instead of £455 for one just 18 months newer :).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts