Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Owned lots of cars in the last 8 years and i think its time i owned an Alfa. Seen a 2006 159 1.9JTD 28k on the clock one owner at the right price.
1. Is there any issues with early 159's? i want a low mileage vehicle as i have heard problems with cambelts on the diesels.
2.Are they really as bad as people make out? you only hear this off people who havent owned one lol!!
3.What sort of miles per gallon shall i expect to receive?
4.Is there anything i should look out for?

Im really excited about the idea of owning an alfa 159 as they look fantasic and not a lot about.

Thank you in advance

Regards Andy :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
mine is a swagon 1.9 jtd mjet in nero black , owned for four years , never broke down , serviced every year and will do between 50 to 62 mpg , best was 61.9 on a trip to swindon to newcastle and back , never went to a petrol forecourt and still had juice in the tank, note , where ever i go , most people have a sly look , cracking stylish car

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
welcome aboard andy :thumbs:

1. the dpf's are prone to clogging, and the egr valves need replacing on a lot of them. cambelt failures were more common on the old twinspark petrol engines, ones on the jtdm diesels seem to be a lot less frequent

2. everybody's got an opinion about alfas, but the loudest ones are generally from people who've never driven one and know zip about cars. my brother in law drives a brand new 5-series but absolutely loves driving my 159

3. mine's averaging a genuine 41-42 to the gallon, despite doing a rush hour manchester commute 5 days a week. longer trips you'll easily get 45-50. don't believe what dashboard readouts say (on any car) - they're all wildly over optimistic

4. tyres can be expensive if it's on 18 or 19" wheels

have look in the 159 tech lounge for a goldmine of other info :thumbs:

Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider - Alfa Romeo Forum

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for your replies. Kinda puts some nerves at ease. Driving a battered old vw passat at the moment so cant wait for the alfa. thank you again

regards andy

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
you'll probably find the suspension a fair bit firmer than a passat. and the steering is quite quick & direct, and grip is enormous. build quality is good, and interior quality is every bit as good as ze germans :thumbs:

·
Registered
467 Posts
My advice - if you're buying an Alfa, buy a petrol model. This is my opinion - I don't expect everybody to share it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I guess it's like all older cars, some are great and have been good to all it's previous owners, some have been a pain since new.

Iv'e just moved back to an Alfa (159 jtdm LE) from Audi's because you get so much more for your money. The way I look at it, what you save, you can put towards any future problems and stand out from the crowd at the same time.

To be honest, most modern cars can be problematic no matter what the marque, but my Alfa seems as strong as any outher prestige car Iv'e owned in the past.

Bite the bullet and set yourself apart from the rest, but leave a few quid in the bank for any problems.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
If your beast is 5yo and low miles... chances are the cam-belt is original and maybe could do with a change. Change the tensioner too, just because it's good practice.

That should be it then for a very long time.

The EGR and the Particular filter could be candidates for an early grave though. I think they (all types, not just Alfa ones) need or prefer long runs where they can get hot and stay clean. A low-miler at that age may suggest the beast didn't get many long journies.. But give it a bit of workout when you get it and that could give them a bit of Lazarus moment. :thumbs:

Ralf S.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts