Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i advertised my car on ebay for a reduced amount of £5293 reduced from £5700 for a quick sale.
a buyer then called me today and made an offer of £5000 to me but insisted on paying via paypal for his own protection.
i'm a bit worried coz paypal said cars paid for via paypal are not eligible for seller protection.
and whats more worrying is what can i do if he files a chargeback:confused:
the guy said he is ready to do the transaction right now.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I think I would decline the offer.
Do you have to pay fees ? that will be a fair chunk gone and as you say a chargeback would be possible.

When I bought my 146 the seller was concerned that I hadn't paid via paypal and was worried about me paying cash it was only £601.25 :rolleyes:

I would never pay for a car via paypal that I hadn't seen sound a bit dodgy to me £5K up front :tut:

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
I would personally take cash only as the paypal fees alone are ridiculous.

£145.20 to be precise.

As K9D says, it sound very dodgy and if paypal are not protecting for the buying of cars, don't risk it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
and whats more worrying is what can i do if he files a chargeback
Absolutely nothing, if your sale doesn't fit the PayPal seller protection terms they won't be interested at all.
Decline it, it's not worth the risk of ending up £5000 down and without the car.

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
I have just had a look and found this.

You acknowledge and agree that a payment transaction is completed and received by you even if it becomes subject to a Reversal, Chargeback. Claim, Reserve or hold. When you receive a payment, you are liable to PayPal for the full amount of the payment plus any Fees if the payment is later invalidated for any reason. In addition to any other liability, if there is a Reversal, or if you lose a Chargeback or Claim and you are not entitled to a payment under the Seller Protection Programme, you will owe PayPal an amount equal to the Reversal, Chargeback or Claim and our Fees per section 8 (including a Chargeback Fee if applicable) and PayPal will debit your Balance to recover such an amount. If a sender of a payment files a Chargeback, the credit card company, not PayPal, will determine who wins the Chargeback.

PayPal offers cover to sellers for up to £3,250.00 GBP on any transaction that is fraudulent. To find out how to qualify for 100% protection, please read the criteria set out in our Seller Protection Policy. (which is very hard to read and as you say doesn't cover vehicles :lol: )

You're right to say no.

Cash on pick up only. :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
People usually only take a deposit by paypal as the charges are silly. If he is genuine, he'll come up with the funds.

Don't risk taking part in a scam just cos you might worry about not finding another buyer.
My Mrs has been scammed a few times on ebay as she is too trusting.
I would rather pay 2 or 3 listing fee's than risk losing both the car and the cash.

·
Registered
37,142 Posts
I would tell him that cash would be fine.

A bank draft would also be ok, but I would make sure it was paid into the bank and verified before the car went.

Paypal are useless, as well as being expensive and I cannot slag them off highly enough.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Paying £5000 via paypal hmmm sounds dodgy. You could always say yes, but there will be a £500 fee for using paypal to cover fees and administration costs and the car won't be released for 14 days to avoid any chargeback concerns and you will be required to sign a binding contract upon taking the car away that says it's sold as seen, without guarantee etc and see what they say. You can always say no again.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I am not allowed to swear on here. :p

But F****** Useless doesn't even come close.
?
Isn't the fact that Paypal is registered outside the EU or something like that makes them pretty much immune from any claim against them? I like the way that ebay now automatically sticks on seller is 100% liable or something like that on all ads. Personally sounds a great business model, charge massive fees and then effectively exempt yourself from any responsibility. I recently had an issue with an item I purchased, a very dodgy seller, and after numerous phonecalls etc I gave up, I personally felt I might as well have spoken to a 2 year old about the problems.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I am not allowed to swear on here. :p

But F****** Useless doesn't even come close.
I have done a chargeback through paypal, did eventually get my money after going through hoops for them when it was obvious the seller was selling fakes (Windows XP in this case).

Paypal finally left it for me to sign and fax a letter confiming I would destroy said software, I signed it and returned it, haven't got round to destroying software yet :lol: But it's only been 6 months.

·
Registered
37,142 Posts
i just spoke to paypal now and they confirmed that he can make a charge back and get away with it
In that case you would be mad to accept the money by Paypal.

Putit this way, i ordered something from aby for £4, it didn't turn up so I opened a Paypal dispute.

I still haven't got my money back and have to wait until 27th December for the case to be reviewed, even though the seller has told them to refund me. This is only £4 so I am not too worried but it is the principle I am concerned about.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
is he from Nigeria

Pomeo
i spoke to him and he has a pure unadultrated english accent and claimed to be from Cheltenham.
his user id is "scrappygolfdog" with 278 feedbacks.
and i forgot to mention he also said he was a rozzer.
does he have to be a Nigerian to do this sort of thing? :confused:

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
i spoke to him and he has a pure unadultrated english accent and claimed to be from Cheltenham.
his user id is "scrappygolfdog" with 278 feedbacks.
and i forgot to mention he also said he was a rozzer.
does he have to be a Nigerian to do this sort of thing? :confused:
No BUT from experince stay well clear:cheese:
The best English I ever heard spoke was a Bardadian in Barbados.

Pomeo

1 - 20 of 37 Posts