Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and i wondered why us english fail when we compete with the best in the world:cheese:

speedway,. golf,. wsb and bsb,. boxing, not to mention speedway:cry:

i suppose im talking about the many peeps who buy the shirt for thier kids or for themselves to enroll or be part of something on the great british widescreen hidef tele,,,,,,,,,,,

mostly our nation get home from work and sit infront of the media,, government controlled box that is our telly.

we buy into whatever pleases us never mind the cost and its impact on the national scale.

mind you if our country had a population of 100 million that all bought england shirts then at least that would put us on the map.....

as for as the rest of our sporting proffesionals they are in the dark and struggling.

ps the speedway tonight was an engine tuner and mentor short of the tape:confused:

i apareciate we have some die hard footy fans out there and i mean no insult with this comment,

the public get what the public want domestically but this want isnt good for our competitiveness nationally

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
if your rant is about english / british being rubbish at sport (not really sure :confused:)these men would beg to differ

stephen hendry 7 x world champion
phil taylor 14 x world champion
steve curtis 8 x world champion

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i didnt mean it to come across as the british being rubbish at sport but about football taking over all other sports as in all the money in this county seems to go towards football and the other sports dont really get a look in cashwise and so dont have the funds to enable the teams to excel....im only ranting cos i was so hoping team gb would get through to the speedway world cup final tonight and they got pipped at the post:cry:....!as for hendry, taylor and curtis all credit to them:cool: ...they are guys who have made it on their own not under the banner of a team.....

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
i didnt mean it to come across as the british being rubbish at sport but about football taking over all other sports as in all the money in this county seems to go towards football and the other sports dont really get a look in cashwise and so dont have the funds to enable the teams to excel....im only ranting cos i was so hoping team gb would get through to the speedway world cup final tonight and they got pipped at the post:cry:....!as for hendry, taylor and curtis all credit to them:cool: ...they are guys who have made it on their own not under the banner of a team.....
Team GB cycling have several World beaters - Chris Hoy, Bradley Wiggins, Victoria Pendleton, Rebecca Romero, and many, many more, and they are members of a team. They have lottery cash funding, and the benefit of top assistants, coaches, physios and all of the rest.
The majority of British people are "couch potatoes" who only watch sport, and yes, they buy expensive football shirts. I think they are slightly mad, but it doesn't mean they are wrong to do it.
Rowing is another example of a sport which achieves an awful lot, and anyone can do it.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Britain has produced some of the finest boxers in history, and in recent years we've certainly been right up there with the best. Calzaghe, Hatton, Khan, Carl Froch etc

·
Super Moderator
44,737 Posts
Why are England bad at sport?

Possibly (only a thought) because our most popular sports are shared with countries where they are either as or more popular, and that country is more populous. So, on a basis of either population or popularity, our competitors have a much bigger pool of potential players.

Football - Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Spain, Germany & many others national sport. Many with larger populations.

Cricket - more popular in India, West Indies and Australia than here.

Rugby - more popular in Australia and New Zealiand than here.

Motor Racing - probably as popular here as anywhere else on the planet, and we've had a great share of World Champions, and an unbelievable share of champion constructors.

Perhaps we also suffer from being jack of all trades, master of none?

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
In response to Bazza's post "Why are the British so bad at sport?":thumbs:

I think it's been the lack of investment in grass roots facilities. This is only starting to be addressed. Look at Manchester with it's velodrome and the success we have now in cycling. I hope the Olympics leave a great legacy or facilities for the people of the Seouth East to use to produce more champions. I also hope that the Commonwealth games in Glasgow 2014 do the same.

You could look back and say that the selling of playing fields for housing and the teachers strikes in the 80's also had a detrimental effect on our youth, I know it did with me, I virtually gave up my favourite sport at that time and when I started it again in my early twenties I realised what I had missed and what I could have been, not any kind of champuon but decent enough to play at county level at least.

I also think the llawyers and H&S crowd have got to answer a few questions as well. Some sports are contact sports and the fear of litigation means they aren't getting played in anywhere near enough schools meaning a lack of talent in later years.
I'm tired and the office is hot!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it doesnt help when the media wind an event up and that gets our hopes up..

one day i guess something extraordinary may happen

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
if your rant is about english / british being rubbish at sport (not really sure :confused:)these men would beg to differ

stephen hendry 7 x world champion
phil taylor 14 x world champion
steve curtis 8 x world champion
Not being funny mate but the top two are pub games and the bottom one can only be played if you are a millionaire.:lol::lol:

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not being funny mate but the top two are pub games and the bottom one can only be played if you are a millionaire.:lol::lol:
so what, they are all still played all over the world yet british sportsman have excelled at them.

ive never seen a snooker table in a pub, maybe a few working mens clubs.

they are all officially sports

:p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts