Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to fit my longly awaited :mad: Supersprint centre section, Ive heard they rot pretty quick. Should i coat it in something extra while it is hanging in my garage and if so any recomendations. :)

W

·
0 Posts
Not so sure that'll make much difference...most of mine have rotted from the inside out. But, a few coats of high temp paint around the joints won't go amiss ;)

wrinx

B

·
0 Posts
This might sound a bit daft but........

I've used this before on motorcycle exhausts, coat the inside with engine oil then run the car for a while (it will smoke, sometimes quite heavily).
What you are doing is oil blackening the inside of the exhaust, it will provide some protection from the acidic exhaust gases.

Go on laugh at me........

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Barry said:

I've used this before on motorcycle exhausts, coat the inside with engine oil then run the car for a while (it will smoke, sometimes quite heavily).
What you are doing is oil blackening the inside of the exhaust, it will provide some protection from the acidic exhaust gases.

Do you have an honours degree????? :D That sounds techy stuff,
So mad i've just got to try it :) :cool:

Wrinx.. How long have i got before it goes?? If i do not use the oil cook method :D

W

·
0 Posts
Barry said:

That kinda makes sense...we used to oil quench hot metal to give it a coating. Apparantly oil is absorbed into the metal's structure. This was for metal that would never get hot in use so dunno how long it would last in an exhaust...

wrinx

W

·
0 Posts
mxer.....I've had two standard exhausts go in about 2 1/2 years EACH, both on the welded joints to the boxes, spose they're the stress points.

I had a Supersprint rear box until recently. It lasted just over 2 years of my ownership and possibly a year (or more???) before that too. A lot also depends on your driving, long or short journey's etc. I too have heard that they rot...from the inside out. Can't remember why but may be due to the use of the stainless and steel mix...dunno!

wrinx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts