Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Have noticed over the last couple of weeks a clattering/clicking sound I'm getting when turning left. Usually noticable in 2nd gear at low revs/speed, but not always there. I put it down to a worn CV, and resolved to have it checked at next service.

Today I was giving it a bit of stick in second and noticed a vibration through the wheel/front end under accelleration. No vibration under constant throttle/off throttle/under brakes. Occurs at around 5,000rpm.

Now, both are consistent with a worn CV and this is the first thing I'll be checking. But I'm wondering, is there anything else it could be? I find it a bit strange (and worrying) that I've only noticed the symptoms in second gear. Could it be 'box/driveline/diff related?

All help appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Administrator
45,147 Posts
It sounds very much like a CV joint on the way out to me. Perhaps the reason for only noticing it in second gear is the larger amount of torque in the lower gear? Obviously first is even lower, but people tend to 'give it more beans' in 2nd than 1st.

As for whether it could be something else entirely - I'd guess it could be pretty much any part along the driveline - but I'd carry on hoping it's the CV joint!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts