Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Went to look at a diesel GT the other day, as I was seriously considering part exing my 03 166TS with 94K. The GT was a December 04 with 36k and on at £13000. The dealer had offered me 4K on a trade in without seeing my car which surprised me. Anyway I went all the way to see it from Sheffield to near Bognor Regis (about 212 miles). As soon as I saw the car I knew I'd been had. Far to many marks on it, the T was missing from the badge, the drivers seat bolster was very worn and it just didnt feel right. Any way I took for a 30 minute spin and it did drive ok and I was impressed by its engine and handling, but how Alfa claim its a coupe that can seat five aldults I dont know. It was very cramped, but its one of a damn fine looking car and I reckon better looking than the Brera. Anyway the dodgy dealer over the phone had promised it was in great condition and I fell looking back I should have mentioned this and asked for my sodding petrol money. But I did drive back up to Sheffield affirming what I guess i already knew.... that the 166 is an amazing car and I would have been mad to trade it in for a GT, I'd miss my electric heated seats, big boot, stylish yet subtle looks and on some journeys i can get 38mpg, which cant be far off the GT. Well I just thought Id share this with you all.

Now I need to replace my front bushes and I was wondering is this a job that I can do myself and has anyone else done it?

Also I really am going to buy a cheapish Spider soon. Ive been wanting to do it for two years and can wait no longer. So do I buy a 97 spider with say 70-80k for about £3500 or a 2000 model with over a 100K for £4500. Both will have had belts done. Needless to say I dont need two cars and the Spider will be kept at my parents as I dont have a garage or off street parking.

**** these Alfas get under your skin.

Mad

Nickd
Sheffield

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OOhh mmmm, I dont know actually. Its just that I get a kind of creaking, crinkly noise when the front end dips etc, which I thought was the bushes. How many are there Naill?

Ta

Nick

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Two bushes in the lower wishbone - I don't think anybody makes replacements, you need the complete wishbone. Usually the ball joint is worn anyway so there's no option. Bushes in upper arm can't be replaced either (yet). Not sure about anti-roll bar bushes (2x) maybe they can be purchased alone - unlike on the 156 where you have to buy a complete anti-rol bar and bbush assembly!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Peak Alfa has quoted 82+ vat and 50+ vat for the parts. I wont try myself. Stick to keeping the oil topped up!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts