Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bus lane this morning on the Lisburn Road, 9.20am, buses and taxis til 9.30am.

I counted 4 cars use the bus lane to skip the traffic queue:

• 2 BMWs
  • 1 Audi
  • 1 BMW MINI
Why do they feel that it is their special lane that they deserve because they shouldn't wait in queues with us non-german-driving plebs? :rant::mad::rant::mad:

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
:confused:I think you'll find wigwam..:rolleyes:

They were crunchy nutters :cheese::cheese:

If you cant beat them...Get down to Asda or Tesco and get a box.

Tomorrow you'll be the car in front and not even a Toyota.:D

Pomeo

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you'll find wigwam..
They were crunchy nutters

Pomeo
:lol::cheese::lol::cheese::lol:

Hadn't had their breakfast yet? :lol::lol::lol:

Shame I wasn't riding the dog to work to get a bowl of aforementioned tasty cereal!

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
:lol::cheese::lol::cheese::lol:

Hadn't had their breakfast yet? :lol::lol::lol:

Shame I wasn't riding the dog to work to get a bowl of aforementioned tasty cereal!
:cheese:
Was still editing..are you fast or what.

Penny dropped
Put all your clocks and watches 15 mins forward.
Wen stopped but constable what time is it......your watch must be slow as mine all say/show...:cheese:
Not sure how it works with the CCTV tho:cheese:

Pomeo.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are inconsiderate *******s that cause buses to run late and then people have a go at the bus operators for not being reliable, its a pet hate of mine although being a bus operator probably makes me biased :lol:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are inconsiderate *******s that cause buses to run late and then people have a go at the bus operators for not being reliable, its a pet hate of mine although being a bus operator probably makes me biased :lol:
Strangly enough, I didn't see a single bus :confused: Though usually out of bus-lane hours I have to dodge at least 1 or 2 :)

The Metros / Ulsterbuses must cut back to one an hour after 9am. Public transport in NI is a shambles.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Strangly enough, I didn't see a single bus :confused: Though usually out of bus-lane hours I have to dodge at least 1 or 2 :)

The Metros / Ulsterbuses must cut back to one an hour after 9am. Public transport in NI is a shambles.
Yes government cutbacks in public transport are affecting all bus operators at the moment :cry:

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Bus lane this morning on the Lisburn Road, 9.20am, buses and taxis til 9.30am.

I counted 4 cars use the bus lane to skip the traffic queue:

• 2 BMWs
  • 1 Audi
  • 1 BMW MINI
Why do they feel that it is their special lane that they deserve because they shouldn't wait in queues with us non-german-driving plebs? :rant::mad::rant::mad:
I bet they all had their Fog Lights on as well - idiots ;) :D

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Yep they cause snarl ups and congestion...they should be charged but there is no one there to charge them....we need more old time specials;):D.coz the real ones are too busy...get it bizzies...to do what they should be doing....God I hope this IS the rant room.

Pomeo

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I drive in the bus lanes in london all the time*

*when i'm on my motorbike, thanks Boris!!!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinking of PSVing the GTV to gain the privilege :lol:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why are taxis allowed to use bus lanes? Buses I get, good for the environment, carrying lots of people, schedule to keep etc but why does a bloke who's too idle to walk in the back of an 8 year old Vectra that smells of sick deserve to cut through the traffic?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Depends where you live I suppose, but since when did buses carry lots of people? I can't remember the last time I saw a bus with more than half a dozen passengers on it, apart from the school run.

Call me inconsiderate if you wish but buses are now privately run businesses, in it for profit and I don't see why I should have to wait while a bus full (or not) of passengers gets there quickly, given the amount I have to pay to the government for my motoring. That said I live in a small town, I can see the point in larger cities but to have traffic queing up in small towns while lanes sit there empty other than for 4 buses or less an hour is just plain bonkers.

Take Blackpool for example. Most of the centre has now been pedestrianised, great for pedestrians but cars now have to find an alternative route - except that really, there wasn't one other than around the back streets. It's now been made much worse by a 50-yard stretch of road in the town centre now having been made "buses only" - so if you're travelling south there is now no way to turn off that road to go south - you have to go back north then double back to the promenade. The thing is, the promenade is the main road at the "front" of the town for travelling south, so add in the holiday traffic and it gets pretty congested. That's where the buses lose most of their time in the first place, so pushing more cars onto that route by shutting off a 50 yard stretch of road is only going to make things worse for both cars and buses!

Point is I can see the purpose of bus lanes in some areas but like a lot of traffic calming schemes there are some like this that are just badly thought out by some plonker in an office hundreds of miles away and sometimes I think things like this are done just to try and show the general public that the road infrastructure is being "improved". The reality is often very different though.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool society, yes buses are run for profit, you see that is what having a business is all about. If more people used buses there would be more demand, less cars on the road (making needless journeys, think school run etc) and those empty buses you see would be utilised better. I run buses in one of the most rural parts of Somerset and my buses dont run empty, in fact on some days we are now so busy we have to run a duplicate vehicle to cope with demand, that is because we run services that are suited to the passenger and nothing else and we also provide demand responsive services to some communities that otherwise would be stranded. Whether car drivers like it or not attitudes towards public transport will have to change.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Cool society, yes buses are run for profit, you see that is what having a business is all about. If more people used buses there would be more demand, less cars on the road (making needless journeys, think school run etc) and those empty buses you see would be utilised better.
I know a business is run for profit, I run one myself but that's not the point. Obviously bus operators want more passengers, just as I would like more customers for my business but that's not a good enough reason on it's own to take roads away from private motorists and hand it to bus companies. I was a bus driver in Blackpool 20 years ago, and they were full. Over here now they're not, so the fact is you're* taking away road space for the sole use of mostly empty vehicles in some areas and it's not helping the issue of congestion.

The fact is that as a nation we're now wealthy enough to have one or more cars and you are not going to get people waiting for buses then paying a £1 or so to go a mile up the road when they can go door to door in comfort and cheaper. I'm a firm believer that for the foreseeable future at least, the government should be concentrating on improving the infrastructure for the majority of people that want/need to use it instead of concentrating on trying to force people onto a mode of transport that is slower, more expensive and doesn't go where you want to go when you want to go.

* = not you personally :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know a business is run for profit, I run one myself but that's not the point. Obviously bus operators want more passengers, just as I would like more customers for my business but that's not a good enough reason on it's own to take roads away from private motorists and hand it to bus companies. I was a bus driver in Blackpool 20 years ago, and they were full. Over here now they're not, so the fact is you're* taking away road space for the sole use of mostly empty vehicles in some areas and it's not helping the issue of congestion.

The fact is that as a nation we're now wealthy enough to have one or more cars and you are not going to get people waiting for buses then paying a £1 or so to go a mile up the road when they can go door to door in comfort and cheaper. I'm a firm believer that for the foreseeable future at least, the government should be concentrating on improving the infrastructure for the majority of people that want/need to use it instead of concentrating on trying to force people onto a mode of transport that is slower, more expensive and doesn't go where you want to go when you want to go.

* = not you personally :lol:
+1, and they are so expensive i would prefer to walk than be on a bus that the driver cant even drive properly. and having no seatbelt for WHEN you chash. I was in 4 bus crashes in the space of 6 weeks going to and back from colege.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts