Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night I went to an old ford's meet in Crawley the 166 as I had to go straight from work, met up with some mates and on the way back we were having a bit of a tear up, like you do. :lol:

I pulled up next to a friend at a set of lights to have a chat and there was a very strong smell of burning clutch, not my friends car as it runs a paddle clutch, either on or off no slipping and if it was smelling that much it would have not moved off the lights! I then said goodbye pulled up at another set of lights, and the proceeding 2 sets and could still smell it, it is coming from my car!?

My car doesn't have a clutch?! Hmmm when I got home the smell had gone, so i don't know what it was, deffo not brakes as I have cooked them before and know what that smells like, it was the same smell as a burnt clutch. Worried me a bit but now the smell has gone and I can't locate where it was from.

Any ideas??

Dan

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
could be from his car - paddle clutches can still burn. more likely however was the brakes, especially as you were both driving hard. as long as the discs aren't warped, no harm done brakes and clutch use the same sort of friction material, so its possible, depending on pad compound to give the same smell

·
Registered
222 Posts
From time to time I have the same. My mechanic found out that the smell comes from a drip of oil on the exhaust pipe. The oil is sweating through the seal of the crankshaft bearing where the connection is with the auto box. At the moment no reason for a repair since all oil levels remain within specs.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
could be from his car - paddle clutches can still burn. more likely however was the brakes, especially as you were both driving hard. as long as the discs aren't warped, no harm done brakes and clutch use the same sort of friction material, so its possible, depending on pad compound to give the same smell

I know they can burn, but if deffo wasn't his, I know what his smells like when it burns! ;)

I was thinking brakes but normally the smell lingers around but when I got back there was no burning smell and to be honest it was all fast a roads so there was little braking going on.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From time to time I have the same. My mechanic found out that the smell comes from a drip of oil on the exhaust pipe. The oil is sweating through the seal of the crankshaft bearing where the connection is with the auto box. At the moment no reason for a repair since all oil levels remain within specs.

Hmm is a possibility but hot oil was a differnt smell, will investigate that area though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts