Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a right month with my GTV. First of all it started by me accidentally leaving the oil cap off. It ran dry and ended up squeaking. this resulted in 3 weeks of trial and error swapping bits and cost me a fortune.

I have now had a new set of spark plugs, new lamda, new belt,new radiator and new tensioner.

After one of the "fixes" i noticed that the temperature gauge light would come on - but the temperature would remain at say 50 - 80 - nothing massive.There was a faint smell of burning - doesnt seem to come directly from the engine, just from somewhere in the car

They diagnosed a new radiator was needed (which it was) and thought this would cure it. It now stays much cooler but the light still flickers off and on. Its now and again - possibly linked to acceleration but not really clear.

There is still a burning smell. I took it back to get checked and he reckons its a faulty connection on the light because when he hooked it up to the computer the temp was the same reading in the car and on the computer.

Any ideas why the light would come on? Could it be dodgy wiring?

It seems to drive fine with no problems - the burning smell is not extreme but i can notice it outside the car when its parked. I cant smell it inside the car.

Any help the fine people from this website can offer will be gratefully received.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,881 Posts
The light is driven by the ECU, whereas the dial itself is driven directly from the temperature sender ... therefore you have probably got a dodgy connection somewhere between the ECU and the gauges ... depends how much it worries you really, you could always just remove the bulb (and make sure that you keep an eye on the temp - as all alfa owners do :lol:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
Does sound like dodgy wiring to the indicator.

Once warm the temperature should be between 80 and 90 most of the time, apart from when the thermostat has just opened to let coolant through in which case it can go lower for a few seconds.

If it never gets over 80' I would be suspect a knackered thermostat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,574 Posts
Does the burning correspond with the rad fans kicking in? The wiring to the fans and resistors on mine is shot, the insulation is hard and scorched in places. Is hard to spot initially as the fans stir the smell around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys.

Good to know that the light is probably wiring.

I cant figure out where the smell is coming from - it doesnt seem to be related to the rad fans kicking in but i will have a look. cheers again
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top