Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the site, bought an 08 gt , today got caught in traffic noticed a bad burning smell with smoke coming out of engine bay, stopped and called aa, the guy said almost definite caused by over riding the clutch pedal , car driving perfectly now, just wondering any one else expierienced same

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
The only way the clutch is going to burn is of you're holding at the biting point for extended periods, or if you're holding it on a hill on the clutch for any length of time.

No-one in their right mind would do this, please tell me you're not.

Having said that it's hard to imagine what else might have caused it. Anything else I can think of would likely still be doing it.

What's your clutch control like in stop start traffic?

All the best

Pub

·
0 Posts
Mebee something (bit of plastic etc) was whipped up into the engine onto the exhaust manifold?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
A burning clutch smell is very distinctive. Smells like rotting vegetables to me.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Withrespect some AA guys are less clued up than others.Just last week an AA guy attended our friends 2002 Megane after the cambelt snapped and advised her to scrap it.Ive collected a Saab 93 where the owner was advised by the Rac the engine had siezed it turned out the alternator had siezed stopping the engine from turning over. If the clutch was burning hopefully its not as a result of oil contamination,its very unlikely the bearing had stuck on the shaft not returning properly but ive known it to happen.Obviously i dont know the mileage of the car but if its high and the centreplate is down to the rivetts then this would also cause the problem as its slipping.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just 15000km on her i have driven the car over 20 miles since with no further problem, never seen this before and am baffled, taking her in on monday still under warranty

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
been driving for 25 years have had 15 cars from banger to brand new never seen this before

1 - 8 of 8 Posts