Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick one if anyone can help.

My 2.0 ts sportwagon has been eating its way through a reasonable amount of oil of late (nearly a 300mls/ltr!). I suspect its a case of more then one thing though!

recently I've been getting a burning oil smell into the cabin but only when I'm I plant the foot at low revs. If I drop a gear and give it some nothing at all, same if I thrash its pants off. It's especially bad in 4th and 5th, climbing hills and wide open throttle below 3000 rpm

I checker the breather from the head to the inlet assuming it may be blocked as it smells like vapour as I'm under the impression its gases escaping from somewhere. But this is clear and seems fine.

I'm not that familiar with the twin spark engine yet, is there a block breather? anywhere else it could be escaping from?

G

·
0 Posts
Sounds more like a leak have you looked underneath see if you can spot anything or traces of oil anywhere.
Not sure but the faster you go the smell will get blown under and out the back rather than lingering in the engine bay.

G

·
0 Posts
The breather is on the right hand side of the engine top right side of the camcover.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
You've not over filled the power steering resivour or anything else at all?

I'd check the oil filter just in case its undone a little.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for the replys guys.

Been under for a good old root about and it looks like I have a weep from the sump gasket and one of the pipes going into what looks like a heat exchanger on the oil filter. Means it'll be dripping on the exhaust hence the smell!

God this car likes to test me... it's a rocky love but a true one!

G

·
0 Posts
Yep have to agree:cheese:
It's sealed with RTV gasket sealer it's not a gasket but that's how they do them!
The sump simple but not easy to get off and back on :(
The pipes to the exchanger are water pipes easy to change just get some suitable hose and cut to length. Replace with jubilee clips. They are normally about 15/20 cm long they just join the metal pipes.
Did you check that the water is not coming from higher up from the main junction point at the top of the metal pipe?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts