Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
help. my 156 appears to be making a burning rubber smell. after some searching i have narrowed it down to:
1. dpf regen cycle - 159 owners get this - does the 156 do it?
2. clutch on way out - although i have noticen no difference in bite and it does not slip
3. cam belt slipping on tensioner or water pump??

how can i eliminate #3?? i dont fancy finding out the big bang way! belt was done at mangos 2 years ago. it donw 20k since.

·
0 Posts
Was the aux belt done too? - (it's exposed on the V6 for visual inspection, dunno about the JTD though)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not sure if aux belt was done, had a good check tonight. let it idle for 10mins wilst looking about with inspection light and sniffing (why do you need an inspection light to smell?) all looked fine. Took her for a gentle spin 50mph 3 miles. no smell. felt the pulleys idler, altenator water pump all cool no heat. PS checked exhaust - no bags or debris. maybe it breaks or clutch. will try booting in high gear and check for slippage. My main worry was it is cambelt but no smell from that area.:confused:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Could be the auxillary belt slipping under load, this time of year the alternator is working hard and a cold hard belt will soon start to slip especially when you first set off with lights, heated screen and blowers all at at max.
They're cheap to swap so might be worth doing, at least you'll have the old one as a spare to chuck in the boot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts