Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been getting this since I owned the car. Its only on the front suspension and can get quite annoying over bumps.........so I was speaking to a guy who has a fiat coupe and he told me that it is probably my droplinks and arms that need replaced.

Sounds like a good shout but how do I confirm this, what do I look for?

Plus are droplinks and arm (??) expensive?

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
drop links £10 each, Lower arms £45 each and top arms are £30 each, to fit the lot is about 3 hours and I'll do the job for you on one condition, you get rid of that Jambo Avatar :thumbs:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
drop links £10 each, Lower arms £45 each and top arms are £30 each, to fit the lot is about 3 hours and I'll do the job for you on one condition, you get rid of that Jambo Avatar :thumbs:
Ok I will bring it off whilst you do the work then put it back on again!

Don't expect the 'Bumpiness' to disappear, 147's are a firm ride.:): If it's 'knocking' go the route Smaky has indicated?:):
Thats the thing, I wouldn't and don't know the difference. All my cars have had firm rides but this seems crashy!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Worn drop links will produce a knocking sound, as can lower wishbones. The lower wishbones can also produce vauge responses from the front suspension.

What you are talking about may be inherent in the car. Are you running 18" wheels? Even the 17"s appear to have too much unsprung weight IMHO. It gives a rather rubbery/fidgity quality to the front suspension ride. Does that help?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
my 147 runs on 215/45/R17 Z's and provides a very stiff ride.
I'm not sure, cos the car is new to me, but whenever i go over the pot hole i get the god almighty thud that the first time made me think something had broken.

But i reckon it's maybe just the stiffness of the ride?!?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The low profile tyres really don't help at all. The spring and damper rates are not ideal, and the heavy wheels exacerbate the problem. Try dropping you tyre pressures slightly to 32f and 30r. Failing that, I think lightweight and smooth riding tyres should be the next set of boots you use.

·
Registered
776 Posts
i get a kind of rubbing sound when i take a bumpy turn at speed. Is coming from the driver's side front wheelarch. Is that the same thing? I thought it was a worn damper but i'm no mechanic

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Hard to say. Is the rubbing sound constant, or in sync with the suspension deflection (bumps)?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
What size tyres are you using, and is the suspension standard or lowered?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would the ride comfort change drastically if I added a Koni adjustable kit?

It feels like its slammed by the very harsh thud it mkes when it goes over pot holes. I'm running standard 17"s on low profiles so that probably doesn't help the dampening much.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Would the ride comfort change drastically if I added a Koni adjustable kit?

It feels like its slammed by the very harsh thud it mkes when it goes over pot holes. I'm running standard 17"s on low profiles so that probably doesn't help the dampening much.
Changing to Koni FSDs will bring a significant improvement. Fitting Eibach springs at the same time will transform the car and add further to the cost. Just done the same to my 156 and very pleased with the result. You should budget for additional costs to replace worn components; there usually is something to replace, it is an Alfa remember :( :(

Rob

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
FSDs are an amazing damper. I would like to see the standard damper settings a little firmer though. The sport setting is fine though.

I found the results better without the Eibach springs when fitting FSDs. However, the 156 which used the standard springs was a 2000 model 2.4 JTD Sportwagon. Apparently, Sportwagons are not meant to have the Sportpack suspension, but this one definitely had black Eibach springs and Boge dampers. It rode better with OE fit Eibach springs and FSDs than a 147 with lowered Eibachs springs and FSDs.

Just a thought to try to save you money. Personally, I'd just go for the FSDs as there is less bucking when hiting large bumps or undulations under normal conditions.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The dampers on 147s & 156s are too weak. In your case I'd see if any wheelarch liners or splash guards are loose beofre suggesting spending £500 on suspension upgrades.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts