Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaving a snowy, icy car park and sliding down a slope my GT decided to go a different way to where I pointed her, coming to rest against a bush after the bottom edge of the front bumper hit a raised kerb edge. Ouch!

So now I have to get her fixed and would welcome others opinions on my options.
I've attached a couple of photos which show the obvious damage and, in addition to this, there are several lines of crazing in the paintwork on the bumper.

My first option is to claim on my insurance. This will cost me a total of £300 in excess and, although my NCB is protected, my premium will no doubt take a hit when it comes to renew.

Otherwise I get it done myself. Is the bumper repairable and could it be restored at reasonable cost? Or would it prove more economical to source another bumper and get it fitted and painted.?

I've never had to make an insurance claim before or had much in the way of body repairs carried out so am unsure on what to do now

Attachments

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Personally I would say not an insurance job, I doubt it could be repaired to a reasonable standard, however AutoLusso might have second hand bumper lying around ... worth a phone call

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
definitely a new bumper skin ... sorry

make sure you haven't damaged anything else underneath (undertray etc)

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I'd wait until after the snow has finished

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Ouch...:eek:..I recently had a repair to my front bumper, but that was just a crack. 156Chris's suggestion sounds a good option

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely waiting till the snow is finished. Just in case any more kerbs jump in front of me.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Definitely waiting till the snow is finished. Just in case any more kerbs jump in front of me.
I think that's the best idea, trouble is, if you go the insurance route they will tell you to get it done, so you would have to stall them a bit....:p

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
The undertray :confused: Can you enlighten me? (I'm a bit of a car-numpty, sorry)
most cars will have a plastic tray underneath the engine bay to stop dirt etc from getting up into the engine bay ... I presume your GT would have one

this will normally be attached to the bottom lip of the bumper skin by a number of clips/screws

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
most cars will have a plastic tray underneath the engine bay to stop dirt etc from getting up into the engine bay ... I presume your GT would have one

this will normally be attached to the bottom lip of the bumper skin by a number of clips/screws
it's also an EU thing to reduce "emissions" ... i.e. any oil leaking from the engine is caught by the tray rather than going onto the road

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Couldn't get a great look because of the snow around the car but I assume the black plastic tray immediately behind the underside of the bumper is what we're talking about.

It seems to have suffered some scraping and it's a bit bent up but doesn't appear to have split or broken.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
It seems to have suffered some scraping and it's a bit bent up but doesn't appear to have split or broken.
:confused: ... they come out of the factory split and broken so you must have a dud one :lol:

G

·
there are bumper repair companies about, they may be able to help you.

I did a quick google search for plastic bumper repair in staffordshire and came up with a few hits. Might mean a bit of legwork but may save you money ;)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
to be honest, i wouldn't put it through your insurance, not worth the hassel, & you'll only get s*****d when it comes to renewal time!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts