Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got back early today and decided to (Try &) remove the the front bumper, had the printout from the Alfa Workshop manual, purchased the 10mm & difficult to get hold of 16mm hex key nuts, Sprayed liberally with WD40 yesterday and again this afternoon. Tried to remove the top bolts 10mm and spent 1/2 hr F&*! & the usual swearing at my Bella, i couldn't shift the top bolts never mind the larger lower bolts!:rolleyes:

I feel so stupid asking:( but can anyone advise do these bumper bolts loosen anti-clockwise or clockwise?

Much obliged in advance:D

ER.

R

·
0 Posts
I would imagine they undo anti clockwise like everything else with a rhd thread. Your not trying to undo these from above with your spanner upside down to where you are looking are you, cos that can be confusing!!

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Anti clockwise mate. the trouble is, the threaded part is several inches down so the WD40 may not be penertrating. I recommend a thorough soaking with plus gas. It's thinner and runs where you want it. WD40 is a great all-rounder but for this you need a proper release agent. Have you seen the pics of my bumper removal in the image lounge? (My new project) page 7 or 8 I think. Good luck!!

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motoring-images/168718-my-new-project.html

J

·
0 Posts
at the risk of sounding a bit 'way out there'

try pouring coke cola over the joint, we have had really stubborn joints in the past, poured 2 litres of the stuff over the joint reused the wasteage and after a couple of hours we have had results

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had trouble with mine they were a right PITA.

I'd go for the plus-gas as well, I had to use a breaker bar to crack mine! just be super careful with the allen head bolts if you round them you'll be in a world of pain.

·
Registered
871 Posts
You may struggle to remove the big bolts because the nuts at the bottom bust the welds, but inside near the rad there is 4 bolts either sidethat undo the bumper legs, give that a go

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Mine where pretty tight a require a decent length wrench to release. Bit of copper slip when you refit.

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
at the risk of sounding a bit 'way out there'

Who's idea was it to try coca cola?
No idea but........
Believe it or not, cola contains phosphoric acid which is also used in some of the more aggressive wheel rim cleaners and in rust removers! It converts the iron oxide into the water soluble phosphate.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
No idea but........
Believe it or not, cola contains phosphoric acid which is also used in some of the more aggressive wheel rim cleaners and in rust removers! It converts the iron oxide into the water soluble phosphate.
I've heard something along these lines also! (In layman Language)
Apparently, if you take a couple of old 2p's & pennys and drop the dirty coins into a glass of cola and leave overnight, once you wake in the morning you should have shiny new copper coins. Imagine, we let our kids drink this garbage:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I've heard something along these lines also! (In layman Language)
Apparently, if you take a couple of old 2p's & pennys and drop the dirty coins into a glass of cola and leave overnight, once you wake in the morning you should have shiney new copper coins. Imagine, we let our kids drink this garbage:rolleyes:
At the risk of destroying a urban myth; have you tried this?

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
At the risk of destroying a urban myth; have you tried this?
We often do this in science. Another is to get a tooth and leave that in cola; that gives some quite impressive results. If a fresh egg is left in cola, the shell reacts with the cola and the membrane surrounding the yolk and white is left behind. The contents may then be inspected.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts