Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 5 weeks of no use thought i would have a drive out only to find the battery dead.
Came up with no ABS etc, so disconected the earth and charging it up, first time i have ever charged a battery in years.
charging while still in car, shouldnt be any probs should it?
Oh and and my 14yr old Cinq that hasnt been used in 8 weeks started first time. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
If completely flat it will take a while to charge.
I usually remove to charge, partly because I'm parked on the street...!

As for the Cinq, my Fiat Cinq is running the 8-year old battery from my 156. On my 156 the load of the various standby systems were running it down after a few weeks of no use, on my Cinq there is no load when not in use (and not much when in use either!).
No problems starting an 899cc Cinq with a 610CCA battery...:lol:

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers David
Its on my drive and its just whey too cold to take it out, will give it till it gets dark and then put it on again in the morning.
And Cinqs, yer gota love em.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
It was just sulking.....and teaching you not to be a bad boy and leave it untouched for so long:lol:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Once a battery goes severely flat it is as good as gone for that car IMO especially on a diesel which will naturally give the starter motor a harder time. It certainly was for mine when I changed it (the ASR and ABS light would come up as failures on some cold mornings). Now I get a clean start every time (battery that came off was an ill fitting Lucas 3 year Premium battery that was a little old and came up as a slight duffer on the drop test).

Regarding your charging issue I find for peace of mine you are best off disconnecting the negative lead. That way you can also do a poor man's drop test on the car and see if your battery really is getting past it.

It's a shame you are not closer as I would have helped you with obtaining a correctly sized battery a little cheaper than usual.

I am not sure if Euro Car Parts are doing their discounts but they certainly ensured that you got a good battery at a reasonable price (code was battery15).

Failing that, mine is starting fine on a Bosch Silver S5 battery of the 096 sized variety, and it fits perfectly.

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
I use one of these Halfords | Halfords Maintenance Charger

Handy as it comes with a cable that you can permanently connect to the battery and then quickly connect when you need to trickle charge.
A 0.75A trickle charger would take a VERY long time to charge a flat battery!
They are fine for keeping a fully charged battery charged, but not for charging a flat one.

·
Registered
250 Posts
A 0.75A trickle charger would take a VERY long time to charge a flat battery!
They are fine for keeping a fully charged battery charged, but not for charging a flat one.
I wasn't recommending this for a fast charge. By all accounts a maintained battery lasts longer than an infrequently used one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts