Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that the front sidelight "long life halogen" bulbs only last 6 months but the tail light "ordinary filament bulbs" last forever?

Is it because we all get them from Halfords and they're not good?

G

·
My halogen sidelight bulbs are from Halfords and have lasted over 3 years and 45,000 miles.

You should try cleaning them with meths/alcohol before fitting them - and don't touch the glass with your fingers when fitting them either.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You must be in a minority! (and even the packets tell you to not to touch them with "your finger acid")
I'm guessing the real cause is a gas loss which allows the filament to overheat.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Are you sure it's actually blown?

Had the warning light come on on the speedo, thought oh no not more scars on my hands....
Wiggled the connector and bulb came back to life. Couple of days later, same thing happend again.
Was time to change the battery as it was beginning to struggle and winter was coming on. Before changing the battery, warning light on.
Change battery, warning light off without touching connector. Hasn't "failed" again since battery replacement.

How old is your battery?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice idea! But there will be a lot of people on this site who could get very annoyed that they've lost their knuckle skin on bad connections.
By the way, I am talking about blown filaments.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Well, like Craig, mine were from Halfords and have lasted very well.

It's either bad bulb set (from Halfords. Surprised????) or too high a voltage going to the sidelights.

Is it one or both? (Sidelights that is)

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, like Craig, mine were from Halfords and have lasted very well.

It's either bad bulb set (from Halfords. Surprised????) or too high a voltage going to the sidelights.

Is it one or both? (Sidelights that is)
I don't think a high voltage would choose to blow only front sidelights.

Not both.

I'm just aware that I have the bonnet open too many times to do front sidelights but I've never had to do a rear bulb.

G

·
Don't know the answer. However, our Volvo used to eat bulbs because the things are always on. The Volvo owners say use genuine Volvo bulbs. I did and they were as crap as the Bosch ones. It now has cheapo ebay no-make bulbs and they've outlasted the expensive ones. The light from them is the same and they were fitted with the same car and attention.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts