Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

When I brake the bulb warning light is always on, so I checked the lights and found that the right hand side brake light was dimmer than the left, so I changed it. That fixed the issue for about 2 days.
Now when I brake the bulb light is on again and once again the right hand light is dimmer than the left light (I’ll attach a photo).
However, when the headlights lights etc are on, the bulb light doesn’t come on when I brake.
Is this a wiring issue or something more annoying?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Might be the problem related to the rev counter. Do a search on the forum, but you may need a new rev counter or if you are handy with the soldering iron you may be able to fix it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might be the problem related to the rev counter. Do a search on the forum, but you may need a new rev counter or if you are handy with the soldering iron you may be able to fix it.
I did have a Look at the issue, but there is no glow from the brake light when the ignition is on so I thought that issue was ruled out

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
It may be worth checking voltage with a multimeter. Using a bit of a household scouring pad should be enough to remove any oxidation from the inside of the bulb holder. Also clean the terminals between the main loom and the bulb holder assembly.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Dim bulbs are usually the result of a less than perfect earth/ground. Find the earth in that corner of the car and give it a good clean to improve the connection/remove the resistance. If the earth is poor the current will find the easiest way out - likely through your warning bulb, making it illuminate.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dim bulbs are usually the result of a less than perfect earth/ground. Find the earth in that corner of the car and give it a good clean to improve the connection/remove the resistance. If the earth is poor the current will find the easiest way out - likely through your warning bulb, making it illuminate.
Would you happen to know where the earth is? Is it just a fact of following the black wire to the chassis meeting point?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Here's a wiring diagram, C31 is the earth. It will be under the carpet in the corner. Remove the plastic panel from the bottom front edge of the boot (small screw/bolts under the plastic cap covers) and the back of the bulb holder covers and you should be able to peel back the carpet enough to get in there without having to remove it all.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much for your help 👍🏻
Here's a wiring diagram, C31 is the earth. It will be under the carpet in the corner. Remove the plastic panel from the bottom front edge of the boot (small screw/bolts under the plastic cap covers) and the back of the bulb holder covers and you should be able to peel back the carpet enough to get in there without having to remove it all.
Thank you very much for your help 👍🏻

1 - 8 of 8 Posts