Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This maybe a stupid question, but I notice a headlight bulb was out this morning, but I didn't get any warning or message on the dash ?
Does the 159 have such a system ? Kinda thought with the age and spec of the car it would.

After reading on many forums that the bulbs are a pain to get out I've just checked and managed to tease out the bulb (passenger, dipped, alegedly the easiest to get out), and it is definately blown, so I suppose I am hoping the 159 doesn't have any dash warning system and it is just simply a blown bulb.

:confused:

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
I dont think it checks the dips, as it assumes you can see the drop in light output.

It picks up sidelights and rears though.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Yeah, I think it only warns you of bulbs that you wouldn't routinely notice as having gone - e.g. numberplate/sidelight bulbs. Not sure about things like puddle lights though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ordered a set of bulbs from Amazon, fingers crossed it'll be a straight forward swap with knuckle skin intact ! :)

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
That's useful to know but is the Brera (2009) the same?
No the Brera has a warning system, I've got a number plale light out at the minute and it displays it's the number plate bulb :)

Took me bloody ages to find that one when it blew on the GT :rolleyes: :lol:

·
Registered
127 Posts
No the Brera has a warning system, I've got a number plale light out at the minute and it displays it's the number plate bulb :)

Took me bloody ages to find that one when it blew on the GT :rolleyes: :lol:
Many thanks. At least I know i've currently got no blown bulbs then!

·
Registered
368 Posts
My 159 also told me I had a dip light out (also which side too - nice pic of an alfa appears on the dash) which I replaced quite easily last year, but now the passenger side light is out (which is also told me). Have taken a look and its gonna be a tough one - I've got big hands too so looks like I'll have to unclip some of the wires around that area too. Can't wait for the drivers side to go - this looks even tougher!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's interesting. I got an advisory yesterday at the 159's MOT for one of the back lights not functioning (one in the boot lid) and I didn't get any warning about it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dip light on my 08 Brera went out last week but got No warning lights. I didnt even notice it had gone until a mate told me.

Took under 5 minutes to replace both. Very simple.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree Lammy changed mine over yesterday in 5 mins. Far simpler than some forums indicated. Although i think the main beam bulbs would be a whole other story. The only thing to watch out for is the spring clips are not very secure when removing the bulb. I nearly lost one into the bowels of the engine bay. Might be an idea to tie a length of string on before releasing it, just in case you drop one. :)

·
Registered
963 Posts
I agree Lammy changed mine over yesterday in 5 mins. Far simpler than some forums indicated. Although i think the main beam bulbs would be a whole other story. The only thing to watch out for is the spring clips are not very secure when removing the bulb. I nearly lost one into the bowels of the engine bay. Might be an idea to tie a length of string on before releasing it, just in case you drop one. :)
Agreed. Sidelights and dipped are relatively straightforward. I must confess though that I was unable to reach the full beams. Simply impossible for my hands!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Have to agree with all (well the correct bits) of the above. I get / have gotten warnings for every other bulb other than the full and dipped headlights. Don't know about the fogs, never had one go.

The dips are easy to change out on the Brera, five minutes and done. Just as well as I aeem to go through about one a year.

Sidelights easy to get out. F'n 30 minutes of swearing to get back, then the holder just magically aligned properly and they just popped back into place - easy as that. I'm sure they were just taunting me and I'd tried the exact angle and orientation 10, 15, 20 and 25 minutes earlier. :mad: Make sure they are properly pushed home or they rattle out.

Now number plate lights, what a royal pain. Not one of the nice springy metal clips would release, one ended up pinging out into the bowls of the bumper, and I ended up making 2 replacements out of stanless cable ties.
:rant:

I don't even want to consider the full beams or indicators as it looke like the battery will have to come out on one side.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts