Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Bugatti Veyron 16.4

• Total voters
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I love the look of it. Also on the point of Skylines et al having 1000bhp, fine stick it on a dyno and you'll get some nice figures but it's not designed from the ground up to be a 1000bhp car like the Veyron has, also from what I've seen of those Jap powerhouses they're all stripped out track style, where the Veyron looks as comfortable as any executive car you care to name.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I overtook one Monday morning on the M25 in my GT................. On the downside I wasn't going that fast as the Veyron was on a breakdown truck - the panel behind the door was missing - not sure what was wrong with it but I bet it wasn't cheap. It was in white and can't say i liked it in that colour.

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Its cool :cool:

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
It's a technological tour de force that tries waaaaaaaaaaaaay too hard.

And for that reason, and that reason alone, it is uncool. :tut:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Conspicuous consumption at it's hideous worst.

It doesn't even have a purpose other than for fat rich old men to wave their willies in the air and brag about how rich they are. Maclarens and Ferraris raced. There will never be a race series for Veyrons.

Seriously uncool.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
With a take off speed of 0-62 or 0-100 in 2.5 secs, that alone makes it AMAZING. Knowing its a VW makes it uncool so my verdict.....

Cool :thumbs:

Salute, Giordano.

·
Registered
110 Posts
How is the V(W)eyron a technological marvel, as some have posted?

4wd? It's been used for years. Active aerodynamics? Ditto. Carbonfibre? Have a guess. Turbos? Turbozzzzz, more like.

It does bring a lot of existing tech into one spot, but it doesn't advance the art of the super sports car one bit.

Nothing about it is original. Nothing about it is advanced.

No need at all for it to weigh 2 tonnes - just think how much better it'd drive if it weighed even 300 kgs less!

Oh, the irony: remember that Ettore Bugatti used to call Bentleys "the World's fastest lorries"

T

·
0 Posts
How is the V(W)eyron a technological marvel, as some have posted?

4wd? It's been used for years. Active aerodynamics? Ditto. Carbonfibre? Have a guess. Turbos? Turbozzzzz, more like.

It does bring a lot of existing tech into one spot, but it doesn't advance the art of the super sports car one bit.

Nothing about it is original. Nothing about it is advanced.

No need at all for it to weigh 2 tonnes - just think how much better it'd drive if it weighed even 300 kgs less!

Oh, the irony: remember that Ettore Bugatti used to call Bentleys "the World's fastest lorries"
It's a technical marvel because they produced a road car that passes all safety and emissions standards, with 1000bhp yet can still give you a proper warranty on it and it's comfortable too.
You find another car that can be all those things at once and I'll be impressed....

I love the look of it. Also on the point of Skylines et al having 1000bhp, fine stick it on a dyno and you'll get some nice figures but it's not designed from the ground up to be a 1000bhp car like the Veyron has, also from what I've seen of those Jap powerhouses they're all stripped out track style, where the Veyron looks as comfortable as any executive car you care to name.

...because of this! When a car rolls out of the factory it has been set up to work as-is. You can modify for all the power in the world if you want but the more power you gain the more drive-ability you lose, it's a compromise, not a gift. These Skylines and Supras etc that can be modified to produce up to 2000bhp in some cases only work on a drag strip, are so non road legal it's funny and have to be rebuilt completely after every run.
A Veyron will do the same job on a drag strip but you can drive it there and back in comfort (not sat on the back of a dirty trailer) and you only service it at regular intervals.
I knew the Veyron wouldn't even come close to coming first around the Top Gear track and I was glad; it got all of the ignorant wannabe fans off the bandwagon of "loving" it because it is/was the fastest production car, beaten and then re-claimed title via the SS version (why the Germans gave anything the initials SS in modern times is beyond me! Lol.) to leave the admiration to the people that actually understand what it is.
It isn't maths, it isn't a drag racer nor is it a track monster. They didn't build a car with more cylinders than a 6 year old's "maths" lesson and enough radiators to save some OAPs from dying this winter (thanks Mr Osbourne!) because they felt there was a gap in the market, or to please anyone who knows a guy who owns a dyno and "had this awesome Supra in this one time that blew up 3 weeks later but still...". They built it because they could! Noone thought they could but they did it anyway.

Sub Zero! :thumbs: (and normally I'll gladly give phallic supercars seriously uncool ratings because they say only one thing about the driver, the Veyron says something else you won't get with ANY other car).

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's a technical marvel because they produced a road car that passes all safety and emissions standards, with 1000bhp yet can still give you a proper warranty on it and it's comfortable too
Yes, it has 1,000 bhp and yes, it can reach 250 mph. And it will do it every time, every day. Those were the targets set down by VW's then-boss (& you never annoy your boss by saying "it can't be done" ;-) ).

However, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should and I can't help but feel it would be a much better car if VW had started from a different angle.

I like fast cars, but I love cleverly-designed & -engineered ones (fast or slow). I'm more impressed by VW's XL-1 concept than a Veyron.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I don't like them (enough of a reason to be cool I suppose) but admire what VW were doing. Great statement and fantastic engineering and for that it is Super Cool :cool:

·
Registered
384 Posts
A relative looked at my GT and said "it looks a bit like a Veyron" :wow:
I really didn't know how to respond!

Cool for me, great science project very cool in the flesh but wouldn't want to own one. (but happy with my lookalike :p)

81 - 100 of 102 Posts